Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Marines
http://www.romanempire.net/romepage/Lin ... groups.htm
This list is not completely updated, and some of the people listed don't seem to be findable by email, but it might get you started. There are many "lone wolf" Romans who are members of groups a short drive away, who only see each other a couple of times a year.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Name was changed recently, but I am from Rochester, NY, and would be interested in what you are looking for. This group is younger than my 44 years, which I like because of their enthusiasm. Great bunch of guys, which is hard to come by sometimes.

Legio XXX Ulpia Victrix, Coh. I
Matt Lanteigne (RAT member name = Magnus
Fonthill, Ontario
Canada
http://www.geocities.com/legioxxxcoh1/

Andy Mayer
afmayer RAT member name
Quote:Recently, I learnt that the color code of the (late civil) tunica was rather a matter of money and of prefered god (what about fashion ?). So, ok purpura is only suitable for emperors or royal characters. But red tunicas were honoring Mars, green for Venus, blue for neptune ...
So, the code for a late trooper is rather religious than the unit belonging. However, as we are supposed to be christians, it's a bit blur for us.
I agree that tunic colours would probably not be reflecting their parent unit (with the exception of Marines), but I would like to hear more evidence of that supposed religious connection.

How about fashion? Or personal colour favorits?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, we wonder about the same things, I guess.

I heard it first at a lecture in Bordeaux's "musée d'Aquitaine" a few years ago but only as "romans wore some clothes dedicated to gods in particular". So the idea was to say that romans go to battle in red tunicas to honorate Mars. Ok, I know this point has been widely discussed on RAT, I'm not exclusively convinced myself. Some other gods were told to have a prefered colour also but I didn't note them.

Recently it was told in a documentary about fashion history on TV channel Arte (they made scenes in archeon if you see which doc I think about ?). However, I don't have a written source about this. Do you think this is uncorrect or a "seasnake" ? Personnally, on coptic fragments, I can see some elements dedicated to Bacchus, Venus or Hercule on rust coloured fabrics... So, my mind is not totally done with this idea.

About, the vestis militaris, all I know come from Yann Le Bohëc's book "l'armée romaine au bas-empire" I don't know if an english edition does exist.

Regards
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD
OK, I see what you mean.. So maybe a 'red herring'... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Marines and Citizenship M. Demetrius 4 1,848 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Information on Roman Marines auxilary 4 2,008 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Last Post: zugislander
  Does anyone have information on Roman Marines? Maximus 3 1,519 09-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis