Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
safety
Most of the recreation work we do is mildly hazardous, some more. Bandsaws come to mine particularly. If there isnt' any alternative, it's either do or dont'. But there are two techniques that have alternatives:

1.melting wax for encaustic paint or lining things: open flames for melting wax are very dangerous as wax catches fire really easily. Try using an electric hot pad instead, outdoors. Lots better control.

2. Degalvanizing zinc plating: since acid is used, some like the idea of going with immediate gratification using sulphuric acid or something similar to battery acid. No need at all. A mild acid will do just as well, just take longer. Vinegar works really well but over night.

I"m sure there are other thoughts folks have on this. Looking for alternatives that are safer and avoid getting your house burned down/fingers cut off/acid burns.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I use an encaustic paint iron for my paint, but that is a good idea for the large surface area jobs! Will need to look for one now!

Just reread that, I thought you said pot!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In the Cohors Prima Gallica we have been thinking in using lead free "white metal" for the plumbatas. When molting in public displays, the problem is not with you, but with the public... :?

PS: Vinegar is O.K. for delgalvanizing, but you must cover the whole metal things below the water/vinegar surface (or you´ll learn a lot about electrolithic rusting :x ), and works much better whith hot water. Only do outdoors, the smell it´s very unpleasant.

And for safety in reenactment, not sharpening what you don´t need will keep the accidents low. :roll:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Artillery Safety P. Clodius Secundus 25 5,009 07-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe