Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata (the book), second edition
Lorica Segmentata: A Handbook and Catalogue of Finds of Articulated Roman Plate Armour, edition 2

Mike Thomas and I have now agreed to go ahead with our revision and uniting of LSI & LSII into one volume (provisionally entitled Lorica Segmentata: A Handbook and Catalogue of Finds of Articulated Roman Plate Armour, edition 2). This will of course include the latest information available. The loricasegmentata.org website will be updated at the same time and may even acquire the long-promised patterns for cardboard models (but don't hold your breath ;-).

As yet we have no publisher, but will be looking to make this as widely available as possible and not prohibitively expensive (which may be a tall order these days). There is no date for publication, for obvious reasons, but we hope to have the manuscript finished in the first half of 2009.

If the worst comes to the worst (publishers are a funny bunch: one once told me 'you'll never be able to sell a book entitled Lorica Segmentata'), we will publish it online.

To mark this announcement of the new edition, Mike Thomas has kindly agreed to make available online Volume II (which has long been out of print). This will be released at midnight GMT tonight (1am BST etc etc), Saturday 19th/Sunday 20th July 2008.

It is worth pointing out that Volume I of the first edition is still available from Oxbow Books at a price of £25 (my enquiry earlier this week showed they had 25 copies left). That too will be put online in due course. Why buy the physical book if you can read the PDF? If you have to ask that question, you should have all your books confiscated in a public ceremony of humiliation and be left with just a collection of PDFs with which to ponder the sorry state in which you find yourself.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:To mark this announcement of the new edition, Mike Thomas has kindly agreed to make available online Volume II (which has long been out of print). This will be released at midnight GMT tonight (1am BST etc etc), Saturday 19th/Sunday 20th July 2008.
Good news. Thanks, Mike. Although I dutifully stumped up for Volume 1, I never got around to acquiring its companion.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
So I have to be up at midnight to acquire the second volume? Confusedhock: :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So I have to be up at midnight to acquire the second volume? Confusedhock: :roll:

No pain, no gain. Besides, it's not midnight in most of the world ;-)

Mike Bishop

Okay, here it is.

Note that as well as the fancy flash viewer, Scribd allows you to download it as a PDF, text file, or Word document.

Mike Bishop

Great! Congrats Mike. Hope a publisher will pick it up.

Oxbow didn't pick it up even after Vol 1? And not even Routledge? Odd..But as you say, Publishers are funny like that.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Hi,

This is really great!!! Confusedhock:

Thank you very very much, both Mikes, for all your work and effort, for the paper and online books and for your enlightened attitude towards publishing of academic stuff! Big Grin

Thanks again.

Alexandr
I should point out that there were errors in the original publication. SH*T happens, I'm afraid! I've been going through the thing this weekend, trying to list them all. When I've done this and sent it to him, Mike (the other one) will upload it onto the site where the books are, so that everyone can see it. Most of the errors are repetitve stuff and just annoying but there are a few more important ones that crept in and were not eliminated in the proof-reading stage, for example there is a drawing for which there is no text! There are also a couple of instances where the wrong drawing was linked to the text (with more than 1,600 drawings, there were bound to be a few like this).

It was always our intention to publish an update after 5 years (which 2008 is), provided that there were sufficient published finds to make this worth while. Since then, sites such as Wroxeter and Caerleon have yielded many new examples of lor seg fitments and there are a number of minor sites as well (minor in the sense that there were few finds of the armour).

If anyone does download the book/catalogue, I would certainly be grateful if any further errors are spotted. To save cluttering up RAT space, I can be reached on: [email protected]

Caratacus/Mike Thomas
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Lovely Jubbly as they say!

Mike I have given you a laudes for this comment alone: 'Why buy the physical book if you can read the PDF? If you have to ask that question, you should have all your books confiscated in a public ceremony of humiliation and be left with just a collection of PDFs with which to ponder the sorry state in which you find yourself.'

Here here forever to that. Big Grin

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Thank you gentlemen.

Here is hoping you find a publisher as enlightened as yourselves.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Here is volume 1 for your delight and delectation. I will post a combined corrigenda PDF to scribd.com when Mike Thomas and I have finished compiling it. If anybody has any contributions of major or minor bloopers to offer, let us know, in my case to mcbishop at pobox dot com and be prepared to be interrogated by my fierce spam filters.

Mike Bishop

Ahhh, my apology for my comment, I should have read more carefully.
I thought the second volumn was going to be released in paper format again at midnight..... :oops:

Great to see an electronic book......thanks to all involved! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I thought the second volumn was going to be released in paper format again at midnight..... :oops:
Midnight release? You're thinking of Harry Potter and the Armour of Segments, Byron. Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Harry Potter and the Armour of Segments, Byron.
LOL!! :lol: :lol:
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:1lj9fgjh Wrote:I thought the second volumn was going to be released in paper format again at midnight..... :oops:
Midnight release? You're thinking of Harry Potter and the Armour of Segments, Byron. Big Grin

Que pasa? :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica segmentata tweets mcbishop 13 3,535 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  The Newstead \'lorica segmentata\' mcbishop 0 1,034 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Free lorica segmentata paper in Spanish martijn.wijnhoven 2 2,336 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Last Post: jho