Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata (the book), second edition
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:3og3w9mr Wrote:I thought the second volumn was going to be released in paper format again at midnight..... :oops:
Midnight release? You're thinking of Harry Potter and the Armour of Segments, Byron. Big Grin

To be released in the United States as "Harry Potter and the Male Armor" or something like that.

:oops:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:To be released in the United States as "Harry Potter and the Male Armor" or something like that.

I see that "Roman" and Martin are still alive and living in "Beautiful Downtown Burbank"! (yuk, yuk!)

Caratacus/Mike Thomas
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Thank you for sharing these books through the digital highway... a most generous gesture by the two of you. I will be looking forward to the second edition.

Cheers,

Martijn
My deepest respect and many thanks. We (Vex Leg VIII AVG) have both vols in our library, but it is good to know I can get a quick glimpse from about everywhere where there's internet if need be. Laudes!
The corrigenda to volumes I and II of the first edition of Lorica Segmentata are now available online. If you know of any we've missed, let us have 'em.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Lorica Segmentata: A Handbook and Catalogue of Finds of Articulated Roman Plate Armour, edition 2

Mike Thomas and I have now agreed to go ahead with our revision and uniting of LSI & LSII into one volume (provisionally entitled Lorica Segmentata: A Handbook and Catalogue of Finds of Articulated Roman Plate Armour, edition 2).

[...] There is no date for publication, for obvious reasons, but we hope to have the manuscript finished in the first half of 2009.

Any news on this project? It's a long time ago we heard on this, so I'm just interested if there is something more to tell. I'm looking forward to this new combined edition.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:
mcbishop:3ns7qnt6 Wrote:[...] There is no date for publication, for obvious reasons, but we hope to have the manuscript finished in the first half of 2009.

Any news on this project? It's a long time ago we heard on this, so I'm just interested if there is something more to tell. I'm looking forward to this new combined edition.

Strewth, the end of the first half of 2009 is only just gone! ;-) ) Mike and I are nowhere near finishing yet but even if we were, most publishers would happily stick it in a cupboard and forget it for a couple of years before they unleash it on the world, so don't expect anything very soon (not least as we both have to do it in our spare time and have lives to cope with). Besides, there are a number of major finds that remain unpublished or only summarily so (Carlisle Millennium, Stillfried, Kalkriese, London) that we would either like to include or at least go and see (the London material will be in the London catalogue of Roman militaria which we hope will finally be finished at the end of 2009). What is noteworthy is how prompt our Spanish colleagues have been on publishing their material - full marks to them.

My view is that a 2nd edition must have sufficient new material and changes to merit that title and justify purchasing it, rather than just be a revision with a few inserted words here and there.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for the response. I hoped to include the knowledge gathered from those new finds in the segmentata I want to start to make soon, but I'll go with what's in the first edition then.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica segmentata tweets mcbishop 13 3,535 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  The Newstead \'lorica segmentata\' mcbishop 0 1,034 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Free lorica segmentata paper in Spanish martijn.wijnhoven 2 2,334 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Last Post: jho