Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
Quote:Just watched "The North Face", a german movie about the conquering of the ominous Eiger. VERY good movie with some haunting scenes and good acting and with no "Hollywood" ending. I like that because we all know that in the end "resistance is futile" (J.L. Picard) :wink: ...
Maybe this movie will be then also something for you, it's about Reinhold Messner reaching the mountaintop of the Nanga Parbat and at the same time losing his brother:
http://www.nangaparbat.senator.de/
--- Marcus F. ---
Thanks Marcus Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Add my vote to the double-plus-good column for Avatar 3D.
And mine. I just saw it (with my father-in-law, who remained awake for 3 hrs, so it must have been thrilling) and I was very pleasantly surprised. Sure, the plot is indeed very 'Pocahontas meets Emerald Forest', with a 'fresh-of-the-boat-Englishman meeting the chief's daughter who teaches him the way of the red-skins etc., but the artwork is dazzling. I found it very original in lot of ways. No lasers etc., very recognisable stuff.

Only.. I could not help thinking that if the stuff they mined on Pandora was really so profitable, sadly, the next thing Jake and his Na'vi would see of the 'Sky People' would be some space cruisers with a few nukes - after all, for mining it hardly matters if the planet surface is devoid of life or not. Cry

But then, it's clearly a space fairy tale, and I'd best shut up. :mrgreen:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Say ...

Don't give away the plot to the sequel now. Some people may want to be surprised by that unforeseen plot twist ... :roll:

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Unforseen... the Augur said.....

after which he was duly crucified.....

LOL

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Last night my wife rented "Inglorious Basterds" for me. :roll: Like most folks here I tend to be very critical of military movies, but I knew ahead of time not to expect much in the way of history. Having watched a few Quentin Tarantino movies, I tried to put my disbelief on hold and just enjoy the ride. The pieces were all there, interesting exchanges, cutting from one subplot to another, visual impact, and of course random graphic violence. It just never worked. Sad Most of the actors put in really solid performances, but Brad Pitt just plain stunk up the joint. Maybe he was trying to play it way over the top, but I never bought or related to his character in any way. I got the feeling he was too busy trying to deliver memorable lines. It left me wishing that the "big names" had gone out drinking and left the cast and crew to make a real movie. The opening scene between the French Farmer and the Nazi Officer would have been a great place to start. The bottom line is that what I'd hoped for was Pulp Fiction meets Dirty Dozen. Let's just call this one the "Dirty Doesn't".
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:Let's just call this one the "Dirty Doesn't"
:!: Excellent!! :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:Let's just call this one the "Dirty Doesn't"
:!: Excellent!! :wink:

or maybe "Kelly's Zeros" :lol:
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
You're on a roll, sir, for a fact!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Actually, I thought it was Brad Pitts best performance ever! :wink:
He actually does remind me of certain southern characters from real life. One who had quite a long stint in a fairly
important role until about a year or so ago comes to mind.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
At the Cinema: Up In The Air

George Clooney has done many similar roles and once again he is very good as is the rest of the cast. Although on the surface it deals with corporate downsizing (and thus benefits and suffers from the timing of its release) the story is really about the choices one makes about what is important to them and how these choices dictate the way their life is led.

Over all a very entertaining film, but Clooney needs to take on a role outside of his usual stable of characters. Hmmm... how about a character from ancient times ... say, I don't know ... Ancient Greece ... based upon a best selling novel maybe ... just a thought ...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Hmmm, give him another three more years...it will only be a decade of indecision then.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Finally saw Avatar. Okay story and acting; dynamic special effects.

What I don't understand was why the human security forces made a ground assault in conjunction with the air strike at the holy tree (as opposed to the earlier air strike against one tribe's home tribe)? And then why did the natives charge in a line? Why not ambush or attrit the technologically superior human force?
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Surveillance, an indie film directed by David Lynch's daughter, Jennifer Lynch. I can't even comment on the plot as it's a thriller, but well worth watching.

Star Trek. Loved it to death. Flippin' marvellous non-stop fun and great casting (especially Spock and Bones McCoy) Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
To post in the correct forum, Precinct 9.
I thought it was a pretty good movie, but said more about it when I posted in the wrong thread.... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel