Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
Finally watched Robin Hood last night!
Very historically authentic! :grin:
The French can claim to have invented from ramped landing craft!
Was an entrrtaining movie though, Ridley Scott
Knows how to make a film!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Trivia: Russell Crowe's the oldest actor to have played Robin Hood (so I'm told).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I got the extended, remastered I, Claudius box set for Christmas. The girlfriend and I are watching a few episodes every night before bed. Solid acting from a solid script!
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Excellent gift.

http://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/magaz...udius.html

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I took my mother to see Le Miserables. Folks, I made it 31 years without crying at a movie theater. That timer was officially reset by the time the credits rolled. Damn good movie.

-Spanish proverb
Quote:I took my mother to see Le Miserables. Folks, I made it 31 years without crying at a movie theater. That timer was officially reset by the time the credits rolled. Damn good movie.
I cried twice, so I echo your sentiment...
I finally watched the remake of Clash of the Titans, and then followed it up with the 1970s classic.

To save lots of explanation:

Stop Motion Medusa > CGI Banshee Medusa
Sian Phillip's Andromeda = Polly Walker's Andromeda
Greek lightsaber < cloaking helmet
New Kracken > Old Kracken
Bubo > Djinn

I would happily watch either movie again.

-Spanish proverb
Battle: Los Angeles
May have been mentioned before.
Aliens invading etc etc......i really liked it, same as Battleship, enjoyed that as well.
Kevin
Kevin
Bought Druids for a dollar at my local Hastings store last night..... I'd love to give a critique, but I couldn't get past Christopher Lambert's bangs.

-Spanish proverb
Ah, yes. Chrostopher Lambert-- the greatest non-actor to come out of France. The French are... so French. So, they hired an all French cast to play Celts. I love the woman with the fiberglass tits. And the whole thing starts in Britain, maybe Stonehedge. Also, Lambert doesn't walk; he waddles. And a Germanic Julius Caesar! How 1st-reichish. I give the flick 2 stars, plus 1/2 a star for unintentional comedy. 8-)

Actually, the last film I watched was Haitari (1961). Everyone in it literally smoked themselves to death in reality. Every frame has a character lighting a cigarette. Sick If you want to quit smoking, this is THE movie to see.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
"Dredd" = Much better than Stallone "Judge Dredd"

"Black Death" - Horrible, worthless, depressing, yet stupid movie

Has anyone seen "Agora"? Any good?
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
See Above (page 61) for some quick thoughts on Argo, SkyFall, Hobbit and Cloud Atlas.

I enjoyed Argo, and though some have been carping about its bending of history I did think the film captured the look and the feel of the late 70's early 80's very well indeed. The film's rather jaundiced take on Hollywood is also quite amusing, but then Hollywood has always excelled at telling stories about itself. (Robert Altman's The Player is still one of the very best of that sub-genre.)

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Has anyone seen "Agora"? Any good?
Let me say... it could have been so much better. Totally NO time was spent on the clothing, which looks like a bad crossover between several Hollywood 'Rome' movies and several Hollywood 'Jesus' movies.
The characters are sdaly flawed and often extremist in their actions, all the while driven by either hate or indecision. The Roman dignitaries fail to convince in any way: the Roman governor is in love with Hypatia but never acts for one moment as governor. There seems to be no Roman police or military about, apart from a few officers standing by helplessly when Christian fanatics (there seem to be no other Christians present) cry, shout, hate, violate or perform any other execessive act in order to shame or neutralise them.
Unfortunately, the 'pagan' part is over-represented as some sort of 'Greenpeace/AI' group, fatalistic but GOOD.

I realise that to some extent, parts of the Roman empire can be compared to, say, modern Indonesia, where the government looks away when Muslim multitudes close down or tear down Christian churches.
However, that's different from presenting each individual in the manner described above and pretend that nothing was ever done about this. In fact the authorities tried to do much more about what was factually losing part of their authority to Christian (often) self-appointed bishops, but often failing. This is not shown in Agora at all.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Watched V for Vendetta last night. Another graphic novel (aka comic book) film. I don't know how I missed this one...it's like six years old or something. Oh, well, no review necessary, as you've probably all seen it. Many of the things in the movie are too true for comfort, but some are beyond silly. It would be easy to draw parallels to modern society, but I won't. If you've never seen it, then by all means see this Orwellian film.

I disagree. I thought they ruined and trivialized the graphic novel by overly politicizing it with current events/themes/political disputes. The graphic novel is about absolute fascism vs. nihilism and moral relativism. The movie turned this great theme into a simple (liberal=good/conservative=bad theme), and wasted more of the better moments in the novel instead promoting a very specific political agenda. A wasted opportunity in my opinion.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
Quote:Has anyone seen "Agora"? Any good?

D'oh!

I read this as: "Has anyone seen Argo?" not Agora ... hence my non sequitur reply. D'oh D'oh!! :oops:

I did see Agora with the thought to writing a review for the AW website. However ... After purchasing the DVD and watching it, I was so bewildered by what I saw that I could not think of anything worth saying about it.

While I do appreciate the work done by some of the actors (particularly Rachel Weisz) I think Robert has hit the mark with his observations. The film could have, and indeed should have, been much better. Truly a missed opportunity.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA