Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
greeks sculptors!
At that time they didnt sign their sculptures, and art works,
do you know (the name) any "famous" sculptor of that time?
In my opnion the greek sculptures are the finest of all history.
Bernardo A. P.
Hi,

We know quite some names of famous Greek sculptors. What time exactly do you mean?

Greetings
Alexandr
Quote:At that time they didnt sign their sculptures, and art work
Depends on the period. In the hellenistic age, works of art were signed. The Laocoon group, for example; the Venus of Milo used to have a signature, but that part of the statue is now lost.

Quote:do you know (the name) any "famous" sculptor of that time?
The main source for the unsigned sculptures is Pliny the Elder's Natural History. The books about stones and bronze contain long catalogs of sculptures and sculptors.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Who was the sculptor famour during the period of Pericles Construction of the parthenon/Acropolis......I can't quite recall his name......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Phedeias in Acropolis and Olympia who nade the gold ivory statues reputed to be among the 7 miracles of the world!

Lyssipos who is reputed to have made 1500 statues!
Quote:Lyssipos who is reputed to have made 1500 statues!
Even better: some of them survive, like the four horses in the San Marco in Venice.
[Image: Original_four_horses.jpg]
Jona Lendering
My website
Try here: http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Bios/Sculptors.html
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
By far the two most famous sculptors from ancient greece are Phidies (mentioned above) and Praxiteles
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Quote:By far the two most famous sculptors from ancient greece are Phidies (mentioned above) and Praxiteles
Don't forget Lysippus.
Jona Lendering
My website