Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Ulfhednar (continued)
I was reading on your site that you guys were working on an Humanimal series with BBC. Focussing on the ancient Germanic Ulfhednar Wolf Warriors. Any news on the series?
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Well to be honest, if someone had not made an issue of it, I would never have associated the standard
in Caballos post with a Nazi emblem, and have to really stretch the point to get there myself.
It makes me think more of a cross between a YIN-Yang symbol and some Celtic design....... :|
There are more people out there who think that the Romans had more influence on the Nazi symbology than any
Celtic/Germanic Tribes.....at least that is what I get from associates and people who discover I do Re-enacting.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
As an AFA supporter I must say that here in the Netherlands re-enactment groups are watched by AFA, not with animosity but with vigil. Also the groups themselves, and especially the Wehrmacht/Fallschirmjaeger groups have a very thorough ballotage, which prevents any NS supporters from joining, and if they are found out, they get kicked out.

Here the sensitivity lays also with the swastika, unless used in context on the uniform. No SS or any other political NS organisation is allowed, and anyone having NS sympathies will be an outcast.

I was with the FJ group some years ago when two drunk Poles made the Nazi salute on which 5 FJs jumped from the truck shoved them against the wall and made verbally very very clear that we do not support that behaviour.

Whether or not Viking groups use a swastika, fact is that only in historical context and when it has been found on any artefact or relief it could be shown, but the showing comes solely on the account of the person or group using the symbol.

It is good to have a discussion about it, but when it starts to be a discussion about Viking or late Germanic groups who have nothing to do whatsoever on a Roman display, unless they are Gothic, Visigothic or Alamanni *who to my knowledge did not use the swastika not was it ever found in their context* , it is a discussion which should be held on their own appropriate re-enactment fora and not on Roman Army Talk.

Merovingian as well as viking groups should stay away from Roman events, unless it is a multi period event stretching into the middle ages.

Also, late Roman groups should not ever be mixed in displays or even campsites with first century Romans, something which all too often happens and paints a totally distorted picture of their separate periods.

Just my two Hs.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Merovingian as well as viking groups should stay away from Roman events, unless it is a multi period event stretching into the middle ages.

M.VIB.M.

I agree on the "Merovingians" but the Varangian Guard was initially Norse/Rus cultures (later British) in service to the Eastern Roman Empire. The mix would be justified there would it not?
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Yes, In the case of the vanguard and untill 1453, in service of the Eastern empire thus being a late Roman group it can be allowed, as long as the groups adhere to what we know of that era, both in armour and equipment as in symbols. A Theodosian group, a group portraying Alaric, Theoderic etc is well possible as are Burgundian tribes et cetera. However in Roman context one should be clear on the facts and not the what ifs. That means that it is perfectly allright to present yourself as Foederati or other barbarian groups in a late Roman context.

In a display area, as well as in the encampment area you should have a chronological order of encampments /battle displays, through which the audience can get a proper understanding of Roman History. This means that things i have seen happen for instance in Alae, which comprised Imperial Roman Cavalry mixed with late Roman cavalry should not occur or be allowed, period.

After the audience is gone, feel free to drink beers, mede and have fun amongst all periods in an anachronistic fashion. (this doesnt mean re-enactors cant roam about as "audience" in market stalls, buying food and beverages and as spectators of battles, it just means there should be a common order.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Romans, Northmen and Goths all drinking together! Sounds like fun. 8)
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:Also, late Roman groups should not ever be mixed in displays or even campsites with first century Romans, something which all too often happens and paints a totally distorted picture of their separate periods.
I'll be seeing you next Saturday HJ, complaints of our distorting presence to the organisers please.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sadly you wont, since its highly unlikely i'll attend...i am still too busy with my studies Sad

And what i mean by campsite is : 1 republic 2 Imperial 3 late Roman. walking direction audience, 1,2,3.

Tongue

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:I was reading on your site that you guys were working on an Humanimal series with BBC. Focussing on the ancient Germanic Ulfhednar Wolf Warriors. Any news on the series?

So does anyone has any information about this show?
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Hi

Which site are you referring to? This may help give a reply.
regards
Dave
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
Quote:So does anyone has any information about this show?

http://www.ulfhednar.org/Humanimal.html

best
authun
Harry Amphlett
HJ, we often put on a section of our display called 800 years, where we try to portray the difference in equipment over the period of time.
We are though, mainly a 1st cent AD group.
I think it would be interesting in a larger event to have as many different groups on show covering as many different periods as possible, with displays in a chronological order. But that was just a daydream I had recently..... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel