Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newest Catapulta now complete!
The 15 meter winding arms could still be feasible, just use them as the removeable type......of course, you will need to stand on each others shoulders to get the best leverage on them, but it is still feasible.........
lets see, the little guy in the pics should form the base, with the bigger guy at the very top.....I think thats how it could work....maybe.....anyway, this is too complicated for me...I'm sure you can solve that engineering problem though.... Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dane and Secundus, you're missing the whole point, it's a Quakerllista, it's supposed to be as simplistic as possible

but we need to be careful we don't un-engineer it so it becomes a Shaker ballista...Shakerista? And if we end up throwing it onto Secundus' Cart, would it be...Yes...A Mover and Shaker?? Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Andy, I'm DRUNK WITH POWER. We keep going...dont fear...complicate things....more stuff...more...more. I am not sure we want a Shakerlista...then if it met a nice girl catapult, it would have to remain chaste. Smile
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Gaius, that is a fine plan for getting the arms wound. And the winding crew can also be a backup totem pole.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Quote:The 15 meter winding arms could still be feasible, just use them as the removeable type......
Surely it would be easier to dig a pit under the winch, to give the arms clearance? That's how I use a 15m sling on my onager. Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:191pl0a7 Wrote:The 15 meter winding arms could still be feasible, just use them as the removeable type......
Surely it would be easier to dig a pit under the winch, to give the arms clearance? That's how I use a 15m sling on my onager. Smile
I think the guys from Leg VI Victorius were conducting some experiments along these lines with "Taurus Magnus" at Ft. Lafe this past March. Perhaps they can share their results. Personally I think that fixed winch arms and linear ratchets on full-sized arrow shooters were out of fashion back in the Republican era. By the Early Empire I think that drums and pins had been replaced by double handles with ratchet pawls like on the Cupid Gem. Of course that's just another of my unsupported assumptions. Don't let Andy and Dane's saber rattling scare you. Most of the features I've added are designed to render it totally impractical in accordance with the Quaker's non-violent beliefs.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
[Image: jpshakehead.gif]

You guys are just bad, bad, bad..... :roll: You're gonna scare the other kids and they'll take away their toys....

[Image: Whipping.gif]

Bad, bad, bad....
Tiberius Horatius Barbatus
(Robb Jackson)
[size=75:18wrbpcn]Immunes Adiutore Cornicularium[/size]
Legio III Cyrenaica

[Image: cyrenaicastdard.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My newest scutum imGladii 13 2,348 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Paul Elliott
  Newest fashion in slave irons Robert 1 1,318 05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Last Post: agrimensor
  My Newest Newstead (say that three times fast LOL) Matt Lukes 21 5,320 06-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar