Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig
Bill Manning was reported as saying he did not believe the object to be a shield grip re-inforcement because.....
Quote:The thing is he doesn't think its a shield grip either as he says the folded over part is too small and the extended piece is not the right shape. I think he also said it it would have had a bow in it,

...we..ll, the 'folded over' part does not look 'too small' to me, judging by the scale bar in the photo, but of course I haven't seen/measured the real thing. Equally, the 'folded over' part doesn't have to be the full width of the grip since it only re-inforces the grip and the 'fold' only serves to hold the metal to a wooden grip, so does not have to be any particular size......
Similarly, the extensions don't have to be any particular shape either, and can, for example, be a decorative shape.....( so there's no 'right' shape)
...and shield grip re-inforcers within an 'umbo' don't have to have a 'bow', but can be straight, as is amply illustrated by the depictions here in this thread.......
It therefore seems to me that 'shield-grip re-inforcement' is still the most plausible candidate so far....... Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Caerleon "object" - by Paullus Scipio - 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry parade ceremonial helmets Jessy100bc 16 4,145 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Lance and Bow Cavalry Flavivs Aetivs 7 2,640 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Ceremonial/Parade Armour Debate MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 2 1,929 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS