Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig
Apparently Mark Lewis had already worked out that it might be a shield bar and had sent e-mails out on Thursday evening to someone? about it but it was so manic on site today that I never got the chance to ask him who he sent it to. (It was only me that was manic because there were no finds trays left and so I had to process lots quickly to free some up. Pete has now bought more. Hurrah!
Bill Manning was on site today and said "I don't know how to break this to you...." and so I told him we were already prepared for a bit of a disappointment. The thing is he doesn't think its a shield grip either as he says the folded over part is too small and the extended piece is not the right shape. I think he also said it it would have had a bow in it, but as I said it was manic. His preliminary interpretation was an "implement".
I apologise to Mike Bishop. I asked Pete if he had e-mailed him and Pete said no, but whether that was "no, I intended to but... " "or you got it wrong and it was ...... who I e-mailed". I don't know.
Chris Waite

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig - by y7usk - 07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Caerleon "object" - by Paullus Scipio - 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry parade ceremonial helmets Jessy100bc 16 4,145 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Lance and Bow Cavalry Flavivs Aetivs 7 2,640 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Ceremonial/Parade Armour Debate MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 2 1,929 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS