Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig
I was asked by Peter Guest to post this reply onto the website.

Greetings to you all from Caerleon - the source of the ceremonial lance/shield grip/unidentified iron object controversy. Thanks to you all for increasing the hits on our websites - there's no such thing as bad publicity especially when it generates increased awareness of archaeology and interest in things Roman and military. this week is National Archaeology Week - the press release was fortuitously timed to coincide with the start of NAW and yesterday we had slightly fewer than 200 visitors to the excavation of a legionary fortress (not bad for a Tuesday). The WAG Minister for Heritage is celebrating NAW here in Caerleon in 2 days time and I'm sure he'll want to see the infamous artefact too. Like the rest of us, however, he will have to wait until the object is x-rayed, conserved, identified and published, together with the hundreds of other objects from the excavation, in the final report to discover its function (and age). You are not the first to have considered that we have found a shield grip - the other half of B&C suggested it as a possibility, as did the ESG (by the way, isn't the academic/re-enactor divide getting a bit tired?), although others who have seen the object aren't convinced either way.

I remember the 1987 trip along the Danube very well indeed. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience travelling through the Balkans in a Land Rover in the final years of the Iron Curtain and I certainly learned a few things - including how essential it is to see and handle an object before passing judgement, and also (more importantly perhaps) that we should avoid taking ourselves too seriously.

Thanks again for taking such a keen interest in our work at Caerleon - I hope that those of you who live close enough will take the opportunity to come and visit before the excavation closes at the end of this month. Anyway, must dash as we think we might just have unearthed Excalibur!

Peter Guest
Chris Waite
Quote:must dash as we think we might just have unearthed Excalibur!
Peter Guest

Thanks for posting that Chris. Finally we have proof of Late Roman activity at Caerleon! :wink: Now all you have to do is find Arthur's Personal Plumbata!! :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks gents. OK a marker similar to the Mile stones(or what ever) erected along hadrian and antonines walls.....

I was confused by the mention of someones sister or wife havig a stone erected....anyway, never mind.

So they have found a sword blade now? Well, I live in Caledonia, but may swing by on my way down or from Dover this coming month(or is it next)?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:You are not the first to have considered that we have found a shield grip - the other half of B&C suggested it as a possibility, as did the ESG (by the way, isn't the academic/re-enactor divide getting a bit tired?), although others who have seen the object aren't convinced either way.
I wonder if those "others" share B&C/ESG's wealth of knowledge and experience?! Smile

Quote:OK a marker similar to the Mile stones(or what ever) erected along hadrian and antonine walls.....
Hey, don't drag our splendid Scottish distance slabs down to the same level as those crude little Anglo-Welsh centurial stones, Byron! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Let's hope we haven't scared Chris off! :oops: Maybe he'll show us the centurial stone.
You mean she! :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:You mean she! :wink:
Do I? Oops! :oops:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Yep, he is a she!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Don't worry about it guys. I really don't mind. There are far more important things to think about.
Chris Waite
Quote:Now all you have to do is find Arthur's Personal Plumbata!! :lol:
No. I distinctly remember that Arthur was really Oliver Tobias, and he never threw darts. And he didn't die either. I've seen him on telly, and he was going out with Joan Collins.

So now we've established I'm gullible and a simple... ton;
Quote:Anyway, must dash as we think we might just have unearthed Excalibur!

Peter Guest

A joke..... Right? :?:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I thought they meant they may have found a sword.....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry parade ceremonial helmets Jessy100bc 16 4,080 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Lance and Bow Cavalry Flavivs Aetivs 7 2,569 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Ceremonial/Parade Armour Debate MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 2 1,861 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS