Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig
Go into your profile, there is a tab called a signature, into which you ca nput your name and a few othere bits and bobs of info......

A PM is a Personal Message, as in the little icon at the bottom of a post....

To read Same go to the messages option in the menu at the top of the page....

or something along those lines.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I apologise to Mike Bishop. I asked Pete if he had e-mailed him and Pete said no, but whether that was "no, I intended to but... " "or you got it wrong and it was ...... who I e-mailed". I don't know.

No problem, it was Coulston apparently and he took a while to reply. We are easily confused (especially if we don't have a giant '&' between us ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Bill Manning was reported as saying he did not believe the object to be a shield grip re-inforcement because.....
Quote:The thing is he doesn't think its a shield grip either as he says the folded over part is too small and the extended piece is not the right shape. I think he also said it it would have had a bow in it,

...we..ll, the 'folded over' part does not look 'too small' to me, judging by the scale bar in the photo, but of course I haven't seen/measured the real thing. Equally, the 'folded over' part doesn't have to be the full width of the grip since it only re-inforces the grip and the 'fold' only serves to hold the metal to a wooden grip, so does not have to be any particular size......
Similarly, the extensions don't have to be any particular shape either, and can, for example, be a decorative shape.....( so there's no 'right' shape)
...and shield grip re-inforcers within an 'umbo' don't have to have a 'bow', but can be straight, as is amply illustrated by the depictions here in this thread.......
It therefore seems to me that 'shield-grip re-inforcement' is still the most plausible candidate so far....... Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Sorry but I don't know what at PM is or quite how I would do a signiture but I'm Chris Waite.

[edited from a quite curt post]
Obviously, since I sent you a PM twice, which you have not answered.

Chris, you have now been asked more than once to make changes to your signature. If you don't know how, I'll be glad to show you. But also realise that you should have read the rules upon becoming a member here.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I am very sorry that I have not replied to your PMs but I have been quite busy working on the dig and I am afraid I do not know how to access the PMs and did not have the time to do anythng which was not immediately obvious. This was not done in order to be rude to you. As for not reading the rules, I deeply apologise for this as well. I only signed up quickly to the site in order to help resolve a question which had been posted and perhaps did not notice the rules. I am sorry that you found my answer curt, it was not intended to be. I have not been home very much and so I could not post a long answer. As I mentioned previously the blog is a wikki and as I seem to have offended you perhaps it would be better if any further queries were directed to that site. Perhaps when the dig is over I will have the time to read and digest your rules. And I apologise again for causing problems on your site.

Chris Waite.
Chris Waite
No harm done Chris. The quite curt post that was edited was my own. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The Centurial stone is not our Rufinius but is Flavi Rufi so he could be a different guy. We thought he was Rufinius before the whole thing was uncovered.
Let's hope we haven't scared Chris off! :oops: Maybe she'll show us the centurial stone.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Centurial stone?

Here you go!

[Image: inscription2.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Very nice -- thanks, Paul. That surely deserves one of those laudes!

Actually, it seems oddly familiar. Isn't there a IVLI FLAVI centurial stone?
Are these tomb stones?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Are these tomb stones?

No, they are known as 'centurial stones'. They are regarded by some sources as being a sort of 'quality control' - they were added to a building or somesuch to indicate that they had been constructed satusfactorily and to specifications. A number have been found at Caerleon (and there are also quite a few from Hadrian's Wall as well.)

The interesting thing about this one is the centurion's name - which you can see is FLAVI RVFI (the '>' sign in front a Roman carving shorthand for 'century of').

There are other stones from Caerleon with the name 'Rufinus'. RIB 339, for example, shows: COH III >/RVFIN.PRIMI. Is this the same man (or a brother, perhaps?), promoted (if he is the same one) from the 3rd cohort to the 1st as Primus Pilus? This stone has a small leaf carved between the COH and the III - and there may be a small leaf-form in the bottom left hand corner of the above photograph. We await developments when the stone is lifted and cleaned more!

Caratacus/Mike Thomas
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:They are regarded by some sources as being a sort of 'quality control' - they were added to a building or somesuch to indicate that they had been constructed satusfactorily and to specifications.
Or just an advertisement set up by a squad who took a pride in their work. Roman soldiers seem to have set up an inscription whenever they built anything.

(I've never heard the "quality control" theory, Mike. I quite like it. Is it your own?)
Quote:(I've never heard the "quality control" theory, Mike. I quite like it. Is it your own?)

Probably a requirement of ISO 9001 certification. The Roman army certainly had enough documentation to qualify ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:(I've never heard the "quality control" theory, Mike. I quite like it. Is it your own?)

No, don't think so - although I could not say where I saw this written down at all. The Roman army seemed to be quite keen on putting an inscription on practically anything they built. There is one from Segontium that 'celebrates' (in modern educational jargon) the repair of a culvert!

Quote:Probably a requirement of ISO 9001 certification.

Would that be the famous sub-section III, Para IX? :lol:

Caratacus/Mike Thomas
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Latest on the dig in the blog here. http://www.britarch.ac.uk/communityarch ... a=CLFBlog2

All rather exciting- many thanks to the blogger!

"Caerleon Legionary Fortress

Priory Field Excavations 2008

Tuesday 15th July

"Carpe diem! Rejoice while you are alive; enjoy the day; live life to the fullest; make the most of what you have. It is later than you think." Horace

Finally, we have found some walls belonging to the legionary warehouse! The front wall was robbed down to its rubble foundations, but at least one of the internal mortared walls and floors of two rooms survive in reasonable condition. We now think that our trench includes the remains of at least three buildings - the original warenouse, a masonry 'lean-to' structure built against the front warehouse's front wall, and the flagstone building (possibly medieval) with associated yard surfaces. Anna was given the task of lifting the centurial stone while being filmed by colleagues from the National Roman Legionary Museum, who are planning to mount a temporary display about our excavations later this year.

PG"
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry parade ceremonial helmets Jessy100bc 16 4,140 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Lance and Bow Cavalry Flavivs Aetivs 7 2,628 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Ceremonial/Parade Armour Debate MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 2 1,925 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS