Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmenta From Planet Trading
Yeh i just noticed that thread, had a brief look through it!! I shall definatly be giving that a bash, it doesnt look all too difficult, time consuming and patience Smile (and ALOT of tools! haha)..

Cheers Smile
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
Id stay away from that thing...

make one yourself, much more accurate!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hey Kevin, definately go for making your own...oh, and yes, I'd snag the Keltica fittings. It's what I'm planning on doing for my next seggie. One of my members just constructed a fantastic Cor. B seggie. None of us are professional armorers in even the loosest sense of the word, but we manage. If we can do it, so can you!

[Image: img_0264_370.jpg]

Oh, and watch the "F" word...I had to edit your one post lol. Don't worry, I know what it's like to be tired and post.

Legion: TBD
Quote:I shall definatly be giving that a bash, it doesnt look all too difficult, time consuming and patience Smile (and ALOT of tools! haha)..

I would certainly recommend trying your own. I had practically no metal working experience before starting mine, but it ended up being perhaps the most enjoyable and rewarding project I've ever done. I too would recommend the Keltica fittings and I think you could also get by with fewer tools if necessary.
/* Alex Matras */
If you're making a practice one for LARP why waste good cows and then have to dye it black? Better to go out and buy a couple of black plastic trash cans. They come already partially curved and a heat gun will do the rest. Also they are durable and never need painting. The best part is you can flatten them out as patterns when you get ready to make a real seggie.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
SALVE!

Been a year since I have been in this place had no net connection. Place I moved into had zipola phone lines. Have moved again since lovely to have that non mobile land line again and Bob's yer uncle.

About making your own lorica. Just make darn sure you have good tools and the right ones if possible. Cleaning up those ragged steel plate edges can be a daunting pain and very time consuming. Best to cut those edges as clean and smoothly as possible from the get go.

AVE!

Titus
Titus Publius Saturninus
Richard Tonti
There is another good tip as far as rivets are concerned, I have made many lorica in my time and what I use is Clout nails. These are nails that are used for fitting felt onto shed rooves, they are soft nails and you can get them around 3/4" length with heads about 1cm dia'. If you countersink the front surface of the holes in the plates and push them thro' the leathers from the inside you have snag free rivets that don't mess with your Tunica underneath. When hammered down in the countersink they also give a good smooth laydown for the overlap of each plate.
Brian Stobbs
Why not just use regular rivets with the head facing inside? Then your clothing doesn't get molested by a peened end, and it's by far more authentic than steel nails.

Quote:Why not just use regular rivets with the head facing inside? Then your clothing doesn't get molested by a peened end, and it's by far more authentic than steel nails.

The clout nails that Philus is referring to are copper, not steel and they make very effective flat-headed rivets.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
clout nails are fantastic for manicae too!
Ah! I didn't know...I just assumed wrongly that the nails were steel. 8)

There is a small correction Matt clout nails are a very soft steel, however having said that any kind of flat headed nail will do be they copper or whatever. The object is that with the flat head on the inside against the leather, when the nail is hammered into the countersink of the hole the flat head pulls right into the leather and the inside of the lorica is absoloutely smooth and flush.
Brian Stobbs
That is how Brian did my own Seg, and I can vouch for the
quality of that technique...... :? sorry its early still.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica segmenta Anonymous 1 981 10-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Anonymous