Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpine and Germanic Campaigns of Augustus
Can anyone relate to me the basics of (or recommend any books, articles, or websites that detail) the early campaigns of Augustus in the Alps and in Germania (emphasis on Germania)?<br>
<br>
I'd be interested in knowing when Augustus began moving his legions and auxiliary troops over to Germania Superior for active campaigning. (If memory serves me, the actual campaigning was done by 15 BC, and legionary presence in Germania Superior then became one of occupation).<br>
<br>
Once again, I would welcome any assistance from the very knowledgable RAT members!<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
Carina <p></p><i></i>
I'll look into this, but remind me if I forget. Augustus' campaigns are on my reading list for the coming period though. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I've just finished making a compilation of Cassius Dio and Velleius Paterculus on Augustan campaigns on the Rhine and Danube for an exam course I've been teaching; it's in PDF format and I can e-mail it to anyone who wants it.<br>
<br>
My e-mail is [email protected] <br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
Shaun -<br>
<br>
Thanks for the response - I'll email you shortly. I can't thank you enough for this information!<br>
<br>
Carina <p></p><i></i>