Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walk like an Egyptian
Hi all,

just finished something I had in mind to try out for a long time:

[Image: SlipperAchmim_02.jpg]

This is only a first try and not an exact replica of any one of the couple of slippers found in Achmim Panopolis and other places in Egypt that feature plant and animal ornaments on the vamp, underlayed with thin gold sheets or gilded leather. The ornament copies a find now in the Louvre. Dating is unclear, but generally those slippers are thought to be 4th to 6th century.
Lovely. Male or female footwear?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Beautiful,

Bravo !

A slippers similar though open on the toes has been found in Saint-Magnus house in London. According to an article by Mac Connoran in 1986, the shoe is supposed to date from around 200 AD.

Bye

Greg
Greg Reynaud (the ferret)
[Image: 955d308995.jpg] Britto-roman milites, 500 AD
Quote:Lovely. Male or female footwear?

Those that I kow of range between ca. 20 and 26 cm, so that would make them mostly female footwear. They all were "found" in the 19th century and then made their way to Europe somehow (some of them with Napoleon, e.g.), so there is no context normally ...
Hi Greg,

thanks for your comment!

Quote:A slippers similar though open on the toes has been found in Saint-Magnus house in London. According to an article by Mac Connoran in 1986, the shoe is supposed to date from around 200 AD.

Yes I know it, it is from:
Miller, Louise, John Schofield and Michael Rhodes: The Roman Quay at St Magnus House, London. Special Paper No. 8 of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society 1986, p.224f

It is different however both in style of the ornament and technique (with the London slipper the gilding is on the upper leather and forms the pattern and faces depicted. Still, a good comment and worth keeping in mind!
Excellent work!
The young lady you made them for will certainly appreciate them!
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
I have made an awful lot of Roman boots in my time but those are just wonderfull.
Brian Stobbs