Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to see Trajan\'s column?
I often marvel at the excellent work on Trajan's column that I see in the books -- it's an amazing resource, as primary documentation goes. What I wonder is this:

If the carvings spiral all the way to the top, how do people see -- or photograph -- the ones higher up? And how did the Romans expect to see them? Levitate?

Also, is there a good book out there that shows the full extent of the carvings?

Thanks!
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Try this thread for information on books and web sites on Trajan's Column.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Duncan -- that's most of what I was looking for.

Of course, I'm still wondering how the Romans managed to appreciate the whole thing -- but at least we can.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Quote:Of course, I'm still wondering how the Romans managed to appreciate the whole thing -- but at least we can.

I think I read somewhere that back in the day the column was in the center of a kind of courtyard with multi-story buildings around it. To see the top of the column you would go to the upper floors of one of the surrounding buildings. Of course, I might be remember it incorrectly.
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
That is correct - the Column was surrounded on two sides by the Library of Trajan and on the other sides by other buildings of Basilica Traiani/ Trajan's forum, though the top stood clear..... it was in the centre, more or less, of the complex.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Thank you both. It makes a lot more sense that way.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Ave Civitas,

There is a plaster cast model of the column, section by section, for close scrutiny, in the museum in Bucharest, Romania.

I have a series of photos that I took of the sections while I was there.

If you are really interested in seeing all the carvings up close, I recommend that.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
There are also casts in the Museum of Roman Civilisation at EUR in Rome. They were taken prior to the alarming deterioration of the real thing caused by modern pollution. I Thoroughly recommend a visit if at all possible.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
J.N.C. Coulston has a book coming out "All the Emperor's Men" about the column and it's degreee of accuracy concerning the soldiers equipment. It was due for publication and June 30th but there seems to have been a delay. My copy is still on backorder. I am patiently waiting.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:There are also casts in the Museum of Roman Civilisation at EUR in Rome.
The third set of casts is in the V&A in London. But last time I visited, they were in a very poorly lit gallery.
Quote:The third set of casts is in the V&A in London. But last time I visited, they were in a very poorly lit gallery.

It's not just poorly lit - because you can't get up near the top part, it's impossible to see it clearly - it just disappears upwards into the gloom. If I remember correctly, it's displayed in two sections.

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:If I remember correctly, it's displayed in two sections.
Three, I think -- although it's been a long time since I visited! From memory, there's a gallery that maybe you can get permission to go onto?
OK, three it is (it's at least 10 years since I was last there). I do remember that permission to use the gallery was not forthcoming when I enquired! Something about "we can't find the key", if I remember correctly (which translates into "No", or "we can't be bothered" or, maybe, "we can't find the key".)

I, too, am looking foreward to Jon Coulson's book on the column - particularly how it relates to the actual equipment that is displayed thereon - such a treatment is long overdue in the light of what we now know of actual artefacts.

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan's Column Protectores Donutici 11 4,686 02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,394 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,278 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus