Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica hamata / segmentata
It also has been suggested that segmentata cost more to produce than mail, and I have yet to see anything to counter that. Wink
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:It also has been suggested that segmentata cost more to produce than mail, and I have yet to see anything to counter that. Wink

It might be true that in a well set up armorments fabrication system, the segmenta was cheaper to produce. However the point Robert made is rather succinct. Chain Mail proved easier to handle from a point of strategic cost. It could be repaired more easily. And maybe one size suits all.

For some reason the Romans abandoned the segmenta in favor of mail. I think that says a great deal.

As to the cows vs soldi. The point I was making was relative cost. Chain mail may have been expensive to produce. But it was not an impossible expense.
Steven.
While the initial expense of mail might be greater than that of a segmentata, it was probably a longer-term investment. Well-maintained mail will last for generations. Much of the mail in use in the time of Augustus was probably in use in the time of Marius. The thin sheet metal used in segmentata probably lacked such longevity.
Pecunia non olet
I agree with John. Extant segmentata fittings are so flimsy that most re-enactors don't attempt to replicate them. Mail might cost more to produce than segmentata but it has many advantages that the state would like. Such as longevity, reduced maintenance, less need for multiple sizes, etc.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Yes, that I would agree with! But still, the protective qualities of the seg are quite confidence inspiring, especially if made to the lighter specs of the original.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking at the whole hamata vs segmentata discussion from another angle Corvus 29 2,315 04-09-2022, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 610 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,131 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex