Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best alternatives to H. Russell Robinson\'s "Armor of Im
Avete, can any of you guys recommend a good book on first century helmets ? Since its almost impossible to buy H. Russell Robinson's "Armor of Imperial Rome" , what alternatives are recommended for the beginning reenactor ? The best book I already have is Connolly's <em>Greece and Rome at War</em>. Are there any others ?<br>
<br>
Your help would be much appreciated.<br>
<br>
Valete !<br>
-Theo<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Ave!<br>
<br>
Unfortunately, nothing that I've seen so far comes close the sheer photo-mass of Robinson. Junkelmann's "Romische Helme" is great and has nice detail shots of a number of helmets, and shows a few that were unknown back when Robinson wrote, but it's in German and still doesn't show as MANY pieces as Robinson. There may be other books out there in German or French that are similar, I just don't know them.<br>
<br>
Fortunately, for the beginning reenactor, Connolly is a very good start. There is also Graham Sumner's book, "Roman Army: Wars of the Empire", part of the Brassey's History of Uniform Series. Dan Peterson's book shows a number of basic types, too. All of these should be easy to find. (Did I miss anything obvious?)<br>
<br>
A lot of other books and journals have nice pieces scattered through them, but it will take you a few years and a few hundred dollars to track them all down, I'm afraid! But for starters, you don't really need them. Most of what they show are details that are now generally known, or variations on a theme. Some are truly different or exciting or radical, but either don't seem to have been common enough to bother having them mass-produced, or are so wonderfully gawdy and elaborate that most of us can't afford a good reproduction!<br>
<br>
You can find full information on the above books on the Legio XX Bibliography page,<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/bibliog.html<br>
<br>
You've probably already seen the Helmets page,<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/helmets.html<br>
<br>
It has a couple links to sites with more photos of originals, though not always detailed, clear, or well-labeled. Hazards of the Net!<br>
<br>
Good luck, and Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I'm waiting someone to make for Robinson's book the same as did for Curle's publication..... <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Try:<br>
Römische Helme (mit Beiträgen von John Pollini und Günther E. Thüry, hrsg. von Hermann Born), Sammlung Axel Guttmann, Band 8, Mainz (Sammlung Guttmann / Zabern) 2000<br>
<br>
A very good book. <p></p><i></i>
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some scans from Russell Robinson Conal 0 860 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Conal