Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Independence Day!
On July 2, 1776, the Continental Congress voted for independence from Great Britain, forming the United States of America. John Adams excitedly wrote home to his wife Abigail, telling her how the Second of July would be remembered gloriously for hundreds of years to come, and celebrated with parades and marching bands and fireworks and picnics and all that great stuff.

Well, he was wrong.

Typical bureaucrats, it took them another two days to get the paperwork signed! Thus was the mightiest nation on earth founded in red tape. Oh, well...

God Bless America!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Ugh yeah, there is this ridiculous Radio commercial for Phantom Fireworks that says "in 1776 President John Adams predicted that the 4th of July would be celebrated with fireworks ~ now you can bring [celebration] home to your family"

Yeah, that's right, it was John Adams who was our first president in 1776...Ooooh some marketing people need to die :roll:

I was wondering where that silly quote came from, glad it does have *some* sort of historical basis!

I'm just glad that over years, and forgetting that 1812 nonsence, that we've been able to be friends with our Brits 'across the pond', and even better we share this common interest with Roman stuff! Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I wish you a nice and happy day to all american friends Big Grin
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Wasn't Adams the president of the Continental Congress, though? Still, not the kind of obscure detail I'd expect to see in a commercial! The weird part is that there were several presidents you never hear about under the Articles of Federation--Big George was only the first president under the *Constitution*.

Thanks, Javier!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
That sounds familiar Matt!

Ahhhhhh, 1812......... :twisted: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ah yes! The War Of 1812.

My illustrious ancestor, General George Izard commanded the American Invasion of Canada.

To all our Canadian friends: "Sorry about that." (It probably seemed like a good idea at the time though...)

Oh well....

R. Izard
It's ok, we won, so we'll let you off with it! :wink: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote: The weird part is that there were several presidents you never hear about under the Articles of Federation--Big George was only the first president under the *Constitution*

Oooh, I didn't know that, interesting!

US Schools need to teach more Ancient history as well as Colonial/Rev War history...Although I'm happy to fill the [Roman] gap for schools on the side...for hire :twisted:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Not to seem jingoistic, but I feel some national and cultural pride. Completely divorced from contemporary politics; I know our nation has had some huge mistakes but I'm still proud to be American. God bless America, but only if it's at the same millisecond he blesses the rest of the world. Starting with the Netherlands, whose RAT members gave me linguistic to wow my girlfriend with. It totally worked Big Grin
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Congrats to our American friends.
Happy 4th ladies and gents from the US! 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Indeed! Happy Birthday US!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Articles of Federation
I think they were actually the Articles of Confederation. Wikipedia on Articles of Confederation
Which I didn't know even through high school and into college. Certainly, as I went to Washington and Lee Univ, you would think some of the southern sympathisers would have mentioned them. No one does. The confederate concept of government had been tried and found seriously flawed in 1781-1788.
And those presidents were:
Quote: * Samuel Huntington (March 1, 1781 – July 9, 1781)
* Thomas McKean (July 10, 1781 – November 4, 1781)
* John Hanson (November 5, 1781 – November 3, 1782)
* Elias Boudinot (November 4, 1782 – November 2, 1783)
* Thomas Mifflin (November 3, 1783 – October 31, 1784)
* Richard Henry Lee (November 30, 1784 – November 6, 1785)
* John Hancock (November 23, 1785 – May 29, 1786)
* Nathaniel Gorham (June 6, 1786 – November 5, 1786)
* Arthur St. Clair (February 2, 1787 – November 4, 1787)
* Cyrus Griffin (January 22, 1788 – November 2, 1788)
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Hope Americans have a lovely day, enjoy your independance Big Grin
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Hope Americans have a lovely day, enjoy your independance

Yes..it will have to do til St Patricks Day,the real fun begins then!!Green beer wahey!! Big Grin
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Independence Day Anonymous 5 1,375 07-04-2004, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus