Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typology of helmets... CAV sports / higher officers...
Dear all...<br>
<br>
I would like to start up a new discussion on the typology of helmets, and especially the distinction between the<br>
"Cavalry sports" helmet opposed by the idea that a lot of those so-called cavalry helmets could well, in fact be Higher officer's helmets.......<br>
Legatvs legionis ...ETCETERA...<br>
<br>
if you adhere to the fact that the AvXILIA and ALAE often consisted of allies of Rome, Germanic tribesmen or whoever... wouldnt they have worn a helmet which was less hellenistic..?? maybe even more towards their own tribal art and culture??<br>
<br>
of course i am not at all saying that the Typology used since our GURU mr Robinson came up with it is totally wrong....<br>
<br>
i just would like to open a debate on this.....<br>
<br>
Best wishes and<br>
<br>
AVE ATQvE VALE...<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
well..........<br>
<br>
silence.......<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=marcvsvibivsmavrinvs>MARCvS VIBIvS MAvRINvS</A> at: 7/3/04 11:20 pm<br></i>
Dear Vibius,<br>
<br>
I know Your sorrow, my first topic at all in this forum from December 2003 still remains unanswered ...<br>
<br>
I agree with Your opinion that some of the so called Auxiliary Cavalry or Cavalry Sports helmets might have been Officer's helmets. I think we discussed about this in an own topic about the Theilenhofen helmet; "Dan the ban" showed us a picture of his Theilenhofen reconstruction with a very impressive horse hair crest. He wanted to show us more pictures, but then "Magna Mater" sent a lightning for a misbehaviour in another topic and he disappeared from the forum for at least half a year.<br>
<br>
The Theilenhofen helmet could well have belonged to an officer, the problem is that inscriptions on the helmet refer to an ordinary trooper.<br>
<br>
Which special other helmet do You think of?<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 7/4/04 5:37 pm<br></i>
Greets - Uwe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher officer helmets during the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus Corvus 2 573 10-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Cavalry or Officers helmets ? a proper debate.. MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 11 3,750 08-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Late Roman helmets - typology markusaurelius 14 3,920 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Caratacus