Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mailing a scutum paint job
Charcoal powder works fine, as does blue marking chalk (like for a carpenter's chalk line string-box). The red marking chalk powder is permanent on many surfaces. Not generally a good choice for this function, and it wouldn't show up well on the red background, if that's the color you're using.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
These are all good ideas....I am planning on painting a scutum once I have made an umbo for it... :lol: :lol: :roll: but I am going to use encaustic paint.....although this may be an awkward thing for the background colour.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have found someone overseas to ship to. Hopefully he will also glue to to a shield it it survives and photo the result. I am going to use for this first experiment 6oz cotton canvas wash it and pre shrink background painted with Barn Red latex paint and insignias painted with black and white flat acrylic paints. All materials are not historically correct but are the least
expensive alternates for the experiment.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:I have found someone overseas to ship to. Hopefully he will also glue to to a shield it it survives and photo the result. I am going to use for this first experiment 6oz cotton canvas wash it and pre shrink background painted with Barn Red latex paint and insignias painted with black and white flat acrylic paints. All materials are not historically correct but are the least
expensive alternates for the experiment.

Hi,

any news on your experiment, John? Smile
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paint \"Sealant\" for Roman Scutum Antoninus05 6 2,310 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Scutum paint SOCL 61 13,852 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Last Post: SOCL
  Paint my scutum! Robert 25 5,012 09-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Robert