Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight of Equipment..
Salvete Omnes!

We went to an event at the week-end. We had to march through a town called Enniscorthy in Co. Wexford. Small problem though, the town is built on a 45 degree slope! We marched down a mile or so, another on the flat and then over a mile up the hill Confusedhock:

Anyway, I decided to weigh my equipment when I got home just to see how much I was humping around, some surprising numbers!

Caligae=1.4kg
Under Tunic=0.2kg
Tunica=0.65kg
Focale=0.1kg
Subarmalis=1.3kg
Lorica Hamata (5mm rings)=14.3kg
Cingulum=1.2kg
Pugio=0.9kg
Galia (Gallic G)=2.5kg
Gladius (Mainz)=2.5kg
Paenula=1.5kg
Pilum=1.2kg
Scutum=4.2kg

Total 31.95kg or 70.29lb or 5.02 stone!

Each item was weighed individually using two scales. Items under 2.2kg were weighted with a digital kitchen scales, no idea what the accuracy is but I measured to the nearest 20 gramme. I also used a digital bedroom scale, here I measured to the nearest 100 gramme. I also put it all on and measured the increase, it was 4.8kg, 2.2 kg less than the individual weights.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
S**t! So I would weigh in at about 18 stone in kit.... Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Frighting, isn't it Confusedhock:

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]
Well I would have no idea how much my kit would weigh considering my full Celtic kitchen set up would probably weigh upwards of 850 pounds. With the two 250 pound feasting tables, the 200 some pounds of stone for ovens and griddles, pots, pans, and iron ware. Plus all my weapons, tents, clothes and the works so I am probably if I assembled my full absolutly complete kit, I am at about 1000 pounds.

Is this odd.
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Quote:Well I would have no idea how much my kit would weigh considering my full Celtic kitchen set up would probably weigh upwards of 850 pounds. With the two 250 pound feasting tables, the 200 some pounds of stone for ovens and griddles, pots, pans, and iron ware. Plus all my weapons, tents, clothes and the works so I am probably if I assembled my full absolutly complete kit, I am at about 1000 pounds.

Is this odd.

It is if you can carry it all at the same time :!: :?: Confusedhock: :lol:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
This is still without furca and other march pack, which will add a lot of extra weight. In 3 weeks I'll be walking from Oberaden to Xanten in full-kit (incl. march pack).

[Image: Jurien02.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
For Legio IX Hispana:
Clothes on the body, foot gear,
Segmentata, helmet, weapons, scutum (15-18 lbs /6.8-8 kilo)...
Sarcina bundle:
1-2 entrenching tools,
2 pila,
loculus: change of clothes including extra udones, food bags: {ground wheat, dried fruit, some sausages}, sew kit, extra hobnails, small bottle of olive oil, coins, dice, bowl, spoon, cup, comb, hair pins to woo local girls, good luck charms, some herbal meds, fire starter kit) and the furca too!
plus: paenula, lodix and ground cover,
also: basket, patera, maybe a vas, net bag with fresh apples and bread, full water container...

100-110 pounds
45 - 50 kilo
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
It could be worse, folks. I understand that the campaign load of modern un-mechanized 'light' infantry has crept up well over 100 lbs. The bigger modern people get, and they harder modern soldiers train, the more little bits get added to their kit because they could be a lifesaver in the right circumstances.

I personally guestimate that the figure closer to 60-70 lbs (one talent or man-load) was more common in Roman times, though.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
It amazing how fast ounces or grams add up!

Is it worth trekking with a pound or so of apples? Depends on how much the guy in the other Contubernium is willing to pay for them !
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Do you march with that often Hibernicus?

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]
Our Southern California chapters do 2 trek hikes a year, more if we can... afterall, we drill once per month... one trek hike is full campaign pack, the other is a "patrol".. no sarcina. Not everyone has a Full Kit. Usually a bit over 5 miles.. there and back again.

Yeah, I know.. 5 miles is nothin'! but, I'm on my second enlistment and have no mule to ride... Cry
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

That's got to be your best avatar yet, Hib! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
5 miles is bloody good Confusedhock: We do 25 miles in full battle dress every week. Of course I mean Celtic battle dress, naked with a few blue decorations, and in a car while doing the shopping Big Grin D D

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]
Related to the carrying of all of this extra weight...

The risks of potential: bulging and ruptured vertebral disks, slipped disks, sciatica, nerve compression, temporary and permanent nerve degeneration, tingling, burning feeling, mild to excruciating pain, numbness, temporary to permanent paralysis, incontinence, etc.; and resulting sleep deprivation, exhaustion, reduced immunity, increased illnesses, hormonal changes, more difficulty concentrating, more forgetfulness, irritability, depression, and worse.

From fellow RAT member posts, I know that several members, including me, are dealing with these issues. Thank you all for your past posts.

These and other back problems and related physical and mental health problems may result from one or more factors. Potential factors include, but not limited to: genetic determined vertebral disk quality, diet during growing years, physical fitness (especially the back and abdominal muscles' condition), body weight/burden/load/pressure on the spinal column and its disks, clothing and equipment weight; work, home, school, recreational, and other physical activities (and person's methods, styles, techniques, frequency, duration); diet and drink, rest; medical, physical, and psychological treatments; work, home, school, sport, recreation, travel accidents (some avoidable, others unavoidable); etc., etc., etc.

Despite some people's best efforts, their backs may go bad because of genetic or other unavoidable reasons. Sad

Despite other people's worse efforts, their backs may remain good because of genetic or other unavoidable reasons. Confusedhock:

In any case, I recommend doing the best we can with diet, drink, physical fitness, medical care, activities, etc. to enjoy more of life, and to avoid months to years to decades of pain and worse (Argghhh :!: Tongue !: ).

Of course, the specific details of how to do this best are somewhat different for each person.

Best wishes for us all. Pax vobiscvm, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Salve Restitvtvs!

We are a fighting group. Since starting this 'madness' I've built up a number of chronic conditions. I've got problems with several joints in my right hand, my right wrist has now been fractured twice and the middle joint of my second finger has been busted to hell.

My left wrist needs constant attention because I carry a very heavy battle shield, and my back is Bollo*ed from charring all this weight. Yes, this has taken its toll on my health, that's true, but I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China. Next year I'm going to do more!

www.romanarmy.ie

[email protected]

[email protected]