Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all Dutch speakers!
My girlfriend's birthday is in 2 days, and since she's had a rough time lately I really want to cheer her up. She was born in Maastricht, and is so Dutch it's easy to forget she's lived in the USA for most her life. I want to sign her card with something romantic in Dutch. Any suggestions?
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
And you're asking Dutch guys for a text? Not the most romantic people, you know. At least, we don't have that reputation. Got any suggestions for a line, I'm sure we can come up with a translation, although Maastrech dialect is out of my league.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
You have ask Flemish people, not... Dutch. :roll: They are Batavians. You might as well try to slap her in the face for her birthday. :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
And here, in a nutshell, is the difference between Flemish people and Dutch... :wink: Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Joel, ignore that Flemish/Dutch animosity, and just say what you want us to translate.

I love you = Ik hou van je
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:And here, in a nutshell, is the difference between Flemish people and Dutch... :wink: Big Grin

And still we manage not to go at war with each other. Tongue
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Joel, ignore that Flemish/Dutch animosity, and just say what you want us to translate.

I love you = Ik hou van je

Thanks, Jonas! Love, not war, I say :lol: How about this...

I adore you. I would take the field of honor in your name. Happy birthday!
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Translation would be something like:
"Ik aanbid je. Ik zou het veld van eer (willen) veroveren in jouw naam. Hartelijk gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag."
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys