Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterskins/Canteens
Hi!<br>
<br>
I know there are archaeological examples of 'canteens'. although I'm not so sure they are, but what do I know? But what are the sources (if any) for water carriers of any sort in Roman statuary, paintings, carvings et al?<br>
<br>
Are there clay water jugs? Water skins? (leather and/or pig bladder?) Gourds?<br>
<br>
Any scraps of information would be appreciated .... <p></p><i></i>
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Weare using a mix of gourds, leather water skins, a FEW (two) of the metal "canteens" for the higher ranking. And we even have a net bagged blown glass bottle on one soldier. I suspect this is a great item to mix and match so we are not cookie cutters! Sort of the the "everyone is the same, but not up close thing."<br>
<br>
I may have out Earthen Vessel maker try a redware canteen too, the Romans had an extensive lot of redware stuff, including grills and such, that we use metal for today.<br>
<br>
Rusty <p></p><i></i>
actually oil containers, not for water at all. <p></p><i></i>
I saw a really nice ceramic piece in Khersonessos, Ukraine (which was a Greek, Hellanic, 2nd & 3rd & 4th Century Roman, and Byzantine site). It looks like an American Civil War canteen in size and shape, but is made from ceramic. The museum dates it to BC, but they also have some other dating that is interesting. <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]