Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAF Red Arrows
Esspecially to the British contingent here on the board

I made my way down to the Rhode Island Airshow at Quonset Point here in the States, and the deciding factor was the 'title card' of the Red Arrows doing one of only 2 or 3 shows over here this month.

I am *VERY* Glad I went and got to see their show.

Red Arrows are *amazing*, they put on an incredibly fantastic show! Bravo! and the fact they do it so well in little Hawk trainers, it's really something! (and great to not need earplugs for once! Unlike the Harrier - after a decade of going to Airshows, I have finally been able to see one of my first loves, a Harrier AV-8B ~ although I'd love to see a GR.1 or GR.3, FRS.1, wonderful planes! But so darn loud!)

Thanks for them coming all the way over here! It was a real treat!

I've been fortunate to see the USAF Thunderbirds, Navy Blue Angels, Canadian Snow Birds, and now the Red Arrows.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Hi Andy Mate,
Glad you liked 'em. If you ever get to meet them you'll find that they are all a really nice bunch of blokes, and a great advert.
They ought to be arrogant but, amazingly, they're not. The team selection majors on their nature and their ability to fit in, as well as on their flying skill.
Chin up!
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
I'm sorry I missed this years RI Airshow. The last few years My company has been a corporate sponsor, but this year they had to cut back. The VIP treatment was nice while it lasted. Free food and drinks, private porta-potties, VIP parking, and front row seats flight-line center. Even if they don't sponsor next year I may take the kids again. My son Leland didn't miss out entirely. He spent the end of last week with my parents at their summer cottage in Jamestown which is right in the middle of Naragansett Bay. Quonset Point N.A.S. is directly across the bay. The demonstration teams use the island as an aiming point during their shows and practice runs. They fly right over the cottage so close that you can count the rivets. As a kid I saw just about every major team that tours the US circuit. I saw my first Harrier back when they could do tricks right over the crowd. The noise is truly amazing, but my favorite is still the A-10. What would you expect from a broken down old tank crewman!
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
I saw my first live harrier back ,86, and it was loud, but the Lightning beat it hands down in the noise stakes.......just a BIG engine with a couple of wings stuck on..... :lol:

The Red Arrows were off Aberdeen about that time too......amazing to see in person! But they are the only live team I have seen...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
They are fab aren't they. I saw them when I lived in Bournemouth, from my lounge window. Felt like a private show! They were swooping just above the gardens, awfully close to the roof (scarily the part of the building I was living in)!

Think there's an air show at Yeovilton this month but am away.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
The pilots for any of these demonstration teams have to be exceptional individuals to even be considered. That said, my favorite team is still the U.S.Navy's Blue Angels. Just watching the rocket assisted take-off of their C-130 support plane "Fat Albert" is enough to get the blood flowing. Another of my favorites is the "ShockWave" jet truck. It's a Peterbuilt Semi with three after-burning engines. A couple years ago I saw it race, from a dead start, against an F-86 SaberJet on a low pass. That has just got to be too much fun! If any of my fellow RAT'ers are huge airshow fans and can make it here for next year's RI Airshow I will ask my folks to borrow the cottage and offer lodging. I'm sure we could scrounge up a couple of lobsters and a bowl of chowder as well.
Regards to all,
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Some one mention Lobster and chowder? Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Some one mention Lobster and chowder? Big Grin

Might be a bit of a fight for that bowl Big Grin

If you can rustle up a shredded pork BBQ burger I'm in.

Oh... and an air fare please Tongue
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Hmmm, for lobster and clam chowder, I'll pay my own fare.....and fight for the right.... :wink: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah, I was impressed by the Red Arrows crew - they all did seem like very nice, approachable people. I did get a chance to rush the fence when they unstrapped from their Hawks, but was so rushed by kids getting autographs (and I happily let them infront of me), I couldn't really get a chance to shake a hand and say thanks, but it was just as much fun to watch them and all.

CJCaesar - Yeah I can't imagine how *loud* a Lightning would be.. In comparision, it is astounding how 'quiet' the newest C-130H/J Hercules are with the 8-blade curved props!

Sorry Clodius - I'm tired of that Shockwave Truck by now Tongue

I agree the Blue Angels are still top-notch. If the Thunderbirds would bring back their F-100 Huns and/or F-105 Thuds, I would *so* be there Big Grin

At one of the Westfield Airshows a little while ago, they had an F-86 and the "Red Bull" MiG-17 - you don't know how badly I wanted to beg the airhsow people to let the two of them have a little 'mock dogfight' - nothing crazy, just a little chase around the block sort of thing! Would have been perfect.

Yeah, there is something about Fat Albert launching off with the rockets...Crazy!

And to correct - Harrier is ONE of my first-loves, the HOG will always be top...Hawg... Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
In my opinion: Real Planes have props! :wink:

Bad luck, only a few rare Planes of WKII are left in Germany and since the Disaster of Ramstein 1988 people and organisators are very careful with larger airshows. If we want to see a real show, we have to go to the UK. Main point of my journey to Britain is the "Flying Legend" Airshow at duxford - a paradise for fans of Prop-Fighters!

[Image: 6615.jpg]
Marcus Antonius Invidurus (m.invid.)

Markus Neidhardt * Centurio COH IIII VIND *http://www.vindeliker-kohorte.de
Duxford is great! Saw the Mustangs there in '89, also saw an f109 and a Hurricane at Lossiemouth in 86. doing a flying display..great to see. 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And great to hear... the sound of a 12 cylinder merlin engine with 27 litres at low pass is like music!
[Image: 21.gif]
Marcus Antonius Invidurus (m.invid.)

Markus Neidhardt * Centurio COH IIII VIND *http://www.vindeliker-kohorte.de
Quote:Think there's an air show at Yeovilton this month but am away.

I stood in the rain at Yeovilton last weekend and saw NO Spit/Seafires, NO Red Arrows, and NO B52, and the Swordfish only managed to taxi round the airfield before it started to tip down. There was something called a P51D which sounded great but, you know, didn't quite look like the real thing ;-) All worth it for the BE2 in the hanger, though.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there