Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off to Istanbul
I will be visiting Istanbul (not Constantinople) in two weeks. I'm pretty unprepared, although I've read some general works (Norwich' History of Byzantium, a biography of Atatürk, Goodwin's Lords of the Horizons...). Still, I do not even know what travel guide to take with me. Any suggestions? (Request includes restaurant recommendations!)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
You b*stard!:wink: :wink: (*jealous*)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I don't think he'd take that as a suggestion. Tongue
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
You don't?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:You b*stard!:wink: :wink: (*jealous*)
Of course I am posting this only to make you jealous. Come to think of it, I'm in Syria and Iran later this year and am preparing a trip to Tunisia and Libya next year, plus repeats to Syria and Iran. That's what happens when you make your living as a travel guide...

But joking apart now: Istanbul is my five-day holiday, not work; I'm with my best friend and two exquisite ladies, so I want it to be a big success. Where's that often-ignored church? That nice wine house? That underrated museum? That excellent restaurant?
Jona Lendering
My website
Wow! Constantinople!!!!! You Lucky, lucky dog you!!!! Tongue twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, you definitely need to see the archeological museum, if only for the translations of Roman gravestone inscriptions some of which can be - creative. At least they were when I visited in 01.

I didn't do any restaurants, but for a snack, try the grilled fish sold off the boat at Eminönü (near the Bosporus ferry terminals by the Egyptian Bazaar).

Topkapi Saray has an impressive collection of art and Islamic relics including the sword of King David and the staff of Joshua, which I guess proves that some business ideas are truly intercultural. But it has very little early stuff. The Mosaics museum is something you should not miss, even though I did. Just for the fun of it, the streets behind the Egyptian Bazaare used to make for a unique shopping experience. It's likely still like that.

Both the Army and navy museums are nice, but no Roman or Byzantine stuff in evidence. Still, the Navy has the only 17th century galley still in existence, definitely wotth a look if you can spare the time.

The boat trip up the Bosporus is nice, but a bit overtouristy, and they dump you for two hours in a village with nothing but pricey fish restaurants. It's probably more interesting to go down into the Sea of Marmara.

When I did Istanbul, I survived almost entirely on fast food from street vendors and to my surprise it was tasty, varied, and did not give the the runs or any other side effects (other than garlic breath).

One last thing: Hotel across the street from a mosque = bad idea! When they say morning prayer they mean *morning*, and the muezzins use umpteen-gazillion watt speakers on all of them.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote: That's what happens when you make your living as a travel guide...

Dp you need more guides (without your amount of knowledge, of course) Big Grin

Anyway, hope you've a great time and I'm 'just' looking forward to the trip to Mainz later this year. (And of course the British Museum in 4 days Big Grin )
ALA I BATAVORUM
Some photos: [url:qu7stel9]http://www.livius.org/cn-cs/constantinople/constantinople-photos.html[/url] (not quite finished, but acceptable)
Quote:One last thing: Hotel across the street from a mosque = bad idea! When they say morning prayer they mean *morning*, and the muezzins use umpteen-gazillion watt speakers on all of them.
Yep, visiting Iran is easier; Shi'ites pray only three times a day. Even better, a famous laboratory in Tehran is about to introduce a pill - if you swallow it, -presto!- all your prayers have been said (Iranian joke).
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Wow! Constantinople!!!!! You Lucky, lucky dog you!!!! Tongue twisted:
The photos and texts are now ready: go here. Or better, go there, as soon as you can. Istanbul is one of the nicest cities in the Mediterranean.
Jona Lendering
My website
I'm envious! I've always wanted to go there.

Midnight Express was on television a couple nights ago. It's a good reminder not to try to smuggle anything out of Turkey.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com