Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baghdad Museum update (in Dutch)
Ahem. I was invited to write a brief article on the Baghdad Museum and the other problems with the cultural heritage of Iraq. Many stolen artifacts are now returning and two departments are more or less ready again, although visiting hours are restricted.

More good news: Babylon is no longer in use as a military base. A German team of archaeologists has assessed the damage, which is very serious, but at least a beginning can now be made to redress that damage. Several heritage organizations are trying to improve the situation in the rest of the country, and eleven teams of archaeologists are now active in Iraq.

As to the responsibility: it is now reasonably clear that art dealers were already in Baghdad and have organized the looting. Earlier reports about fanatic Islamists, or involvement of the museum staff, can be discarded.

It is also clear that US soldiers were on the spot and have asked for permission to intervene; their request for assistance was forwarded to the Pentagon, which did not allow the soldiers to restore order in the museum. The reasons are still unclear, but as there were reports of snipers in the neighborhood, I can imagine several very acceptable excuses.

Unfortunately, my article is written in Dutch; but if you happen to suffer from that particular throat disease, go here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
This is perfect.
Thanks for posting Jona.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae