Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chabrias "At Ease"
There is an incident in which Agiselaos routed a section of an army that Chabrias (an Athenenian general) was leading a troop of mercenaries in. He then turned his forces up a small hill to face Chabrias' men. Something odd occured and Agiselaos broke off the attack. All the translations I can find state that he had his men kneel, bracing the aspis on their knees, with their dorys jutting forth. This has been analogized to later pike-men bracing their pikes on the ground to recieve a charge.

It very well may not have happened that way at all. I have read a few papers which point to the ambiguity of the translations and state that the position was standing, with the aspis on the ground resting against the knees and the spear held up in an "at ease" posture. Thus their position showed contempt and coolness, and Agiselaos broke off.

Personally I don't like either option, but my question to reenactors is how realistic this "at ease" position would be in the face of a possible charge. We see this position or one like it commonly in statues of Athena, but how long would it take to get the aspis back on your arm assuming that you have to deal with the dory as well? Would you do this?
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
It is not quick Paul. The problem with hoplite kit is that you have limited dexterity. To lift the aspis you either have to lean the dory against your body or stick the sarouter in the ground (and the effectiveness of this depends upon the ground you are on). It takes two hands to recover the aspis and it is not easy to bend and recover it with one... and particularly difficult in a formed body.

HOWEVER, not quick is 30 seconds or so - but if you were showing contempt you would not want to suddenly scrabble for the aspis, so would probably want to leave it very late to 'psyche' out the enemy. Bit of a risky strategy I would think, but not out of line with the style of warfare.

There are instances of one side being over-run before they had armoured up, and this is possibly a part of the same thing?

There is a nice C6bc red vase painting with kneeling hoplites as you describe and we have used that as a possible adaptation of movement in defending against cavalry as hoplite on hoplite warfare evolved into hoplite on mobile troops (basically 'persians') - although purely speculative and we make no claims otherwise.

It would be suicide though to try to stop a phalanx like that (kneeling) and most probably would impede the effectiveness of a block as two sides pressed together.

On the issue of 'contempt', there are accounts of troops failing to close because they perceived the other side was 'better'. - so show is a big part of the performance of war. It is not inconceivable, I would hypothesise, that this might have been done in the way you describe.

Remember, most combatants were not soldiers by trade, so psychology was probably quite a big element of hoplite on hoplite engagements.
ouragos

Andy
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.4hoplites.com">www.4hoplites.com
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J-etn1QQ-7Q& ... re=related
It is that quick and easy. No big deal really. The critical point in the above question is if they kneeled at all. The ancient text? Do you have it?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4SwhWS1jkI
Another clearer one.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
With proer drill the hoplite shiled manuvering is very easy:
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh84 ... C01216.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dienekes/1026356173/
9 to 10 kgrs is no big deal to manuver with if you practice.

Kind regards
Quote:The critical point in the above question is if they kneeled at all. The ancient text? Do you have it?

Quote:Cornelius Nepos: "His most brilliant achievement was his invention in the battle that he fought at Thebes, when he had come to support the Boeotians. For in that affair, when the supreme general Agesilaus was confident of victory and had already put to flight the swarms of mercenaries, Chabrias ordered the rest of the phalanx not to move from their position, but instructed them to receive the enemy's charge with their shields leaning against their knees and spears thrown forward. When Agesilaus saw this novel sight he did not dare to ad- vance and recalled his men, who were already charging, by sound of trumpet. This deed was so cried up throughout Greece that Chabrias desired that the statue that the Athenians set up to him officially in the Agora should be made in that attitude."

Polyaenus says:7 "Chabrias ordered the Athenians, Gorgidas the Thebans, not to run forward, but to remain still, holding their spears upright and leaning their shields against their knees. Agesilaus, amazed at the firm array withdrew."

Diodorus: "Chabrias the Athenian, being in command of the mercenaries, ordered his soldiers to receive the enemy with contempt, standing fast in their ranks, and leaning their shields upon their knees, to remain with spears upright. Agesilaus marvelled at the good discipline of the enemy and at their disdain"

Now that I see how quickly it can be done I agree with the at ease theory. I had dismissed the other idea as suicidal, but worried that taking your shield off your arm was only slightly less so.

If anyone wants the papers I was referring to, just send me an email- you already have them Giannis.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I am guessing that if you have the central arm band situated in the vertical, it is a quick and simple thing to slide your arm into it,, grab the handle, and you are ready to go? I can't view the video so am guessing here? A little padding to avoid snagging flesh and hey presto, your ready to go.... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,811 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite