Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New ridge helmets for the database?
While browsing the internet I came across this photo of a late Roman helmet found at the site of Iatrus, Bulgaria:

[Image: sdj1_2_1_5_kammhelm_k.jpg]

Source:
http://www.dainst.de/spuren/index1_2929_de.html

I did a search on this helmet and it appears that this site has rendered two specimens of ridge helmets, which are published in:

Gomolka-Fuchs, Gudrun
1999 Zwei Kammhelme aus dem spätrömischen Limeskastell Iatrus, Nordbulgarien (Two combed helmets from the Late Roman limes-fort Iatrus, Northern Bulgaria). Acta Praehistorica et Archaeologica, Vol. 31, pp. 212-216.

Summary in English
Two crest helmets were discovered during excavations in the Late Roman limes fort latrus on the lower Danube [northern Bulgaria], carried out by the Römisch-Germanische Kommission of the German Archaeological Institute and the Archaeological Institute of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. Assigned to the Late Roman type of parade helmet, they are made of iron and overlayed with gilt copper sheet. In view of the stratigraphy in latrus, both helmets were in use during the last third of the 4th and the first decades of the 5th centuries.

And:

Born, Hermann
1999 Reiterhelme aus Iatrus / Krivina, Bulgarien - Zur Technik spätrömischer Eisenhelme mit vergoldeten Silber- und Kupferblechüberzügen (Horsemen’s helmets from Iatrus / Krivina, Bulgaria - On the manufacturing-technique of late Roman iron helmets with gold-plated sheet silver- and sheet copper-plating). Acta Praehistorica et Archaeologica, Vol. 31, pp. 217-238

Summary in English:
During extensive excavations of the Römisch-Germanische Kommission in Roman latrus, modern Krivinia, Bulgaria, an almost completely preserved helmet and several fragments of other helmets made of iron were discovered. They are referred to in literature as late Roman parade-helmets. Examination and repair of two helmets in the restoratory workshops of the Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte Berlin gave rise once again to unanswered questions about this type of helmet. Research on techniques employed in the production of these helmets has revived the discussion settled in 1973 with Hans Klumbach's publication on helmets of this type, on their production and their use. The following article presents the results of the examinations and attempts to evaluate anew late Roman helmets with gilt silver and copper overlays.

Source:
http://www.vml.de/e/inhalt.php?ISBN=978-3-89646-726-3

If I am not mistaken these helmets do not feature in the current data base.

Cheers,

Martijn
Laudes Martijn, very interesting Big Grin !!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Ya it is a great hybrid helmet that shows some cross overs from the full Berkosovo helmet to the Intercisia style ones. I wish there were some more images available of that helmet, but I have yet to find any except for the one posted. Do we know which museum it is in?

The gilt sheathing I have looks very similar in style to this helmet. At some point I'll have pics available on my site.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Martijn thanks for posting.
Nice helmet and also a very interesting website.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,594 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Ridge Helmets Nathan Ross 11 2,517 05-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  Were Late Roman Ridge Helmets Really lined in Leather? markusaurelius 13 3,671 09-01-2010, 05:43 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius