Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT conference MAINZ 2008
Is it still the plan to have Miks over for a lecture?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Is it still the plan to have Miks over for a lecture?
I think we should not be too strict - anyone is welcome.

Jurjen, Jasper, and I met today at the Romeinenfestival, and we think we should give the project a green light, although the financial situation is not very promising. Still, we think about the following schedule:

FRIDAY AFTERNOON
Welcome of the people; with those who are early, visit to Wiesbaden or something similar
Dinner

SATURDAY
Lectures (Svenja, Robert Wimmers, Jona...)
Lunch
Lectures or Gutenberg Museum
Temple of Isis and Cybele (closed on Sunday)
Dinner

SUNDAY
Museum of the Roman Ships
Theater and Drususstein
Roemisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum (Miks?)
Museum Castellum; Arch of Germanicus (both only open on Sunday)

We hope that the "Steinhalle" in the Landesmuseum can be visited as well.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
My lecture will be about the reconstruction process of the blade of the Haltern pugio.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Ha, well, the programm looks very promising!! I will be much looking forward to attending. I really love the Miks book on Roman swords, and am trying to use it to get some really good gladii made for the market to finaly do away with all that inaccurate stuff presently being offered. I showed my Nijmegen handled gladius around at the festival and it was very well recieved, even if it had the Hod Hill type blade fitted to it. The Hamfelde type Pompeji blade (the original Hod Hill type) is not in reconstructions and I hope to convince the company I am dealing with to improve it and market it direct.
The Nijmegen handle, which was very well done, will be fitted with the Putensen-Vimose blade type to create a very attractive gladius. Good balance, good grip, lethal piece of hardware!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I've put my money where my mouth is too and paid 60 Euros to Jasper's account. I hope that you've had a lot more people over the weekend who've done so too?
Is there a group booking being made in the hotel?
How long is a lecture for? I can do one on Crassus and his campaign into Parthia if anyone is interested?[/quote]
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Hi all,

I will fulfill my financial duties asap, don't worry about that. And I will even give a lecture, most probably about epigraphic evidence for members of the praetorian guard found in Mainz.

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:Is there a group booking being made in the hotel?
That would be the best. But we need to be sure of everyones attendance, to avoid something like last year when we had a couple of booked rooms unused. All in the same hotel (or at least area) is preferred as the social time in the evening is an important part of the original reason for the RAT conference. Meeting RATers face-to-face.

Quote:How long is a lecture for? I can do one on Crassus and his campaign into Parthia if anyone is interested?

I don't know exactly what time we used for lectures last time. How long do you need? The good thing about this is a veriety on subjects, so please feel free to tell us something about Crassus campaign into Parthia.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I will try to make sure that the money for the attending members of Legio XI (Belgium) gets wired to your account in one of the following weeks. We will send all the money in one go if this is allowed. Or do you prefer that every attendent wires his fee seperately?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I don't think that make any difference. It's more that we know the amount of participants and don't have to get the money after the conference. It's easier to let people stay outside when not paid their fees, then to email them again and again with no succes. (I still get some money from some people from last year, if I get it at all)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I will try to make sure that the money for the attending members of Legio XI (Belgium) gets wired to your account in one of the following weeks. We will send all the money in one go if this is allowed.
That's fine; but please send me the list of participants + how they want to be accomodated (3/2/1 person room) by p.m.; because, as Jurjen says, we need some certainty about those who will be there.
Jona Lendering
My website
The money is on it's way, Jona

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:The money is on it's way, Jona
That's good news - because so far, only two people have paid...
Jona Lendering
My website
Three (Ben Kane)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Transfer has been made. Should be in your account tomorrow!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Greetings!

That's a shame but i or any of my group mates, can't attend for now....
M. INVICTUS FELIX
LEGATUS LEGIONIS
I FORTENSES