Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
construction of a petasus? (need a 3rd century hat)
a 3rd century hat (AD) a petasus, any idea or construction tips? pictures? i was reading Mr. Sumner's Roman Military Clothing 2 and came across the felt/wool hat idea and thought (hmmm I don't have one of these)

any ideas?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Hello Chuck

There are more hats, some of which will be published in my latest book 'Roman Military Dress' out soon. They will blow your socks off, that is if you are wearing any! Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Right, Mr. Sumner, and that will be more confusion for future anthropologists, who will write theses about the logic of 21st Century people wearing 1st Century wool udones, and the reasons and methods for their having been exploded across a dozen countries' landscapes. I can hardly wait. Wish I could be there to hear their explanations! Big Grin

When will the book be out, approximately, in the US?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:that will be more confusion for future anthropologists, who will write theses about the logic of 21st Century people wearing 1st Century wool udones, and the reasons and methods for their having been exploded across a dozen countries' landscapes. I can hardly wait. Wish I could be there to hear their explanations
!

Imagine what will happen if a re-enactor is buried in full gear and their body is the first of any 21st century individual to be excavated by future archaeologists and all photographic and computer sources have been lost!

The book is due for release this summer.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
They'll insist that time travel had been a reality, I'd imagine.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
thanks, i got it on my wishlist at amazon.

but but i dont wanna wait Wink
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:
Quote:that will be more confusion for future anthropologists, who will write theses about the logic of 21st Century people wearing 1st Century wool udones, and the reasons and methods for their having been exploded across a dozen countries' landscapes. I can hardly wait. Wish I could be there to hear their explanations
!

Imagine what will happen if a re-enactor is buried in full gear and their body is the first of any 21st century individual to be excavated by future archaeologists and all photographic and computer sources have been lost!

The book is due for release this summer.

Graham.

That is my funeral plan!!!! Who squealed!????? :x x
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Crassus. He squealed. Besides that, he has a lean and hungry look. Maybe it wasn't a squeal, maybe his stomach just growled.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
:evil: I wonder if he fancies a vacation in Turkey?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman "Petasus" Hat Lucius Aurelius Metellus 2 1,134 05-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Octavianvs