Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graham Sumner (Textile Help)
I am having a paludamentum made with a diamond twill pattern.

The dimensions are 45 inches wide and 3 yards long.

I was able to find someone that will use a loom and weave this garment for me.

However, before she can quote me a price and begin the work, she asked me for the thread count.

Do you (or anyone) know or have an idea what the thread count would be per inch for wool textiles in the 1st Century AD even 2nd Century would be good.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hi Paolo

PM on the way asap.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Dear Mr. Sumner,

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

I am having a weaver make a paludamentum. Unfortunatley she cannot give me a price or even begin unless she has the thread count.

Thus you information is greatly valued.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Did not learn much from this thread Sad Is the info secret?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Also quite interested.

N
I'd also like to know what shape and dimensions are seen as proper for a paludamentum.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi
No secret but just remember that recreating the past often means getting off the Internet and researching the good old fashioned way! :wink:

The following articles both by Hero Granger-Taylor will be of help with the technicalities.

1. Granger-Taylor, H. 1982, 'Weaving Clothes to shape in the Ancient World: the Tunic and Toga of the Arringatore', Textile History13, pp.3-25

2. Granger-Taylor, H. 2007, Weaving Clothes to Shape in the Ancient World 25 years on: Corrections and Further details with Particular Reference to the Cloaks from Lahun'. Archaeological Textiles Newsletter 45 2007. pp. 26-34.

As regards to the shape of the Paludamentum, that is I think guess work based on sculpture as none have ever been found / identified. You need enough material to hang on your left shoulder, wrap around your left arm and to fall elegantly to just above the floor. One suggestion is that the shape should therefore be similar to a Sagum but with the bottom corners curved.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham,

Thank you very much for the references! I bought some hand-spun linen from Russia, and was looking to buy some wool as well, so the knowledge of the technicalities will help me to make more informed decisions in that regard.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Roman Warriors: The Paintings of Graham Sumner Condottiero Magno 5 801 01-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Arius