Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"A War like no other\"; by Victor Davis Hanson
Quote:So my girlfriend thinks I overreacted. I apologize. Sorry for any hurt I may have caused.

She is a wise woman, marry her. Its best not to assume racism on a forum like this until you ask for clarification. I have seen racism online, and it is rarely subtle.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Notice that in massive political demonstrations the world over, most recently in Egypt and now in Libya, the demonstrators carry signs in two languages - the local language, and English. I have yet to see a sign in Spanish, French or German. So whom are the signs in English aimed at? It could be the New Zealanders, but I doubt it. Everybody expects America to step in somehow or other.

I think they want us to stop stepping in, actually. The tyrants who have been under fire in Tunisia, Algeria, Yemen, Bahrain and Egypt (not to mention Saudi Arabia) have all been the beneficiaries of our support.
The message I'm getting from those demonstrators is: "Please stop giving tear gas grenades to these regimes that are oppressing us."

Quote:I believe that Paul and I are close in thought with regard to oil resources forming the primary goal for launching the Iraq War, though I obviously didn't make the full context of my ideas on that clear. I don't believe that we were focused on Iraqi oil alone. In fact, I see the Iraq campaign as no more than an opening gambit. The real target seems to have been Iran (with Syria a very minor 'side-show' consideration) and not Iraq. Iraq appears to have been meant as little more than a staging area for future anti-Iranian operations.

I've gotta admit, I can understand why the Iranians might be feeling a bit paranoid.
[Image: 50-us-bases-in-the-middle-east-a.jpg]
Quote:Notice that in massive political demonstrations the world over, most recently in Egypt and now in Libya, the demonstrators carry signs in two languages - the local language, and English. I have yet to see a sign in Spanish, French or German. So whom are the signs in English aimed at?

Just a quick point from a longtime expatriate: English is becoming more and more the lingua franca of today. It is often a "common language" and its use may have little to no relevance to the nationality of either the sender or receiver of a message.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I reckon it is because they know that the BBC and CNN and others will be sending out the events as best as they can. Of course, many of these countries at one time had a heavy British presence. More recently they have had an American one. Neither was particularly welcome, but it will have left a cultural legacy.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,709 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Hanson 300 Article Johnny Shumate 46 8,735 03-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Last Post: ambrosius