Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
request
Dear colleagues! I am a Russian postgraduate and writing a dissertation «Polybius as a military historian». Of course, a large part of it will be dedicated to his view on Roman army. The library of our university is very poor. Our university does not have jstor. I am extremely needed in these articles and books:

1. G. Schepens s article: Polybius as a historian of Punic wars:the problem of objectivity. In: Studia Phoenicia (Orientalia Lovanensia analecta, 33 (1989)). P. 317-327.
2. Scala R. Die Studien des Polybios. Stuttgart, 1890.
3. Culham P. :Chance, Chaos and Command in Ancient Military Engagements //World futures, 27 (1989). P. 191-205.
4. Mauersberger A. Polybios-Lexicon. Berlin, 1956-1975. Vol. 3-4. pages after 1094.
5. Crump G. Ammianus Marcellinus as a military historian. Wiesbaden, 1975 .
6. Walbank F.W. Polibius as military expert // Polybius to Vegetius.
Essays on the Roman Army and Hadrian's Wall presented to Brian Dobson / Ed.
P.R. Hall. 2002. P. 19-30

7. Pedech P. Polybe hipparque de la confederation acheenne (170-169 avant J.C.). Etudes classiques, 37 (1969) :252-259.

8. Walbank F.W. Polybius and the aitiai of the Second Punic War. Liverpool Classical monthly 8.4 (1983).:62-63.
9. Krentz P. Deception in Archaic and Classical Warfare. In: War and Violence in Ancient Greece, edited by H. van Wees, 167-200. London, 2000.
10. Garin E. Polibio e Machiavelli. Quaderni di Storia 31: 5-22.
11. Carey W.L. . Nullus Videtur Dolo Facere : the Roman seizure of Sardinia in 237 BC. Classical Philology, 91 (1996): 203-222.
12. Capelle, W. Griechische ethic und romische Imperialismus. Klio, 25 (1932):86-113.
13. Barcelo P. The perception of Carthage in Classical Greek Historiography. ActaClassica 37(1994):1-14.
14. Scholten J. The Politics of Plunder: Aitolians and their Coinon in the early Hellinistic Era. Berkeley, 2004.
15. Cole T. The sources and composition of Polybius VI. Historia, 13 (1964). P. 440-486.
16. Dubuisson M. La vision Polybienne de Rome. In : Puropses of history : Studies in Greek Historiography from the 4-th to the 2-nd century BC. Leuven, 1990. P. 233-245.
17. Erskine A. Polybius and barbarian Rome. Mediterranio antico 3.1. (2000). P. 165-182.
18. Golan D. Polybius and the Third Macedonian war. Ant. Class. 58 (1989). P. 112-127.
19. Thompson W.E. The battle of the Bagradas. Hermes, 64 (1986). P. 111-117.

I will be glad if somebody will scan or download from jstor even some of these articles. My e-mail address is: [email protected] . I have heard, that Peter Connolly wrote an article concerning Polybius s description of Roman army. When and where was it published? Could somebody scan and send me these article?

Do the participants of forum know the e-mail addresses of historians who are researching Polybius, hellenistic warfare, Punic wars or Roman Republican army?
Dear colleague,

First of all, please add your real name to the signature - that is a forum rule.

I will be able to assist you with some of the materials. E-mail sent.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:I will be glad if somebody will scan or download from jstor even some of these articles.
If only you'd posted yesterday, I could've diverted my attention to scanning instead of hyperlinking! Smile

Your list omits what I'd consider the fundamental article, teg:
E.W. Marsden, "Polybius as a military historian", in: E. Gabba (ed.), Polybe: Neuf exposés suivis de discussions (Entretiens sur l'antiquité classique vol. 20) (Geneva, 1974), pp. 269-295.

I'll scan my less-than-pristine xerox ... unless someone else steps up to the plate. Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I did not mentioned Marsden s article beacause I already have it.
Quote:I did not mentioned Marsden s article beacause I already have it.
And now you have two copies!! :lol:

So ... which ones are you still looking for?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Dear colleagues! I am a Russian postgraduate and writing a dissertation «Polybius as a military historian». Of course, a large part of it will be dedicated to his view on Roman army. The library of our university is very poor. Our university does not have jstor.

Hello Teg,

Most of the articles you request are unfortunately not on Jstor. I can help you with some articles but not many of the articles you require are difficult to scan as the ancient Greek gets scrambled and it is very time consuming to reinstall each word. The problem must rest with my scanner.

Culham P. Chance, Chaos and Command in Ancient Military Engagements//World Futures, 27 (1989). P. 191-205.

Ok, I have a Word copy of this paper. I have known Phyllis Culham for some years and she works at the United States Naval Academy.

Carey W.L. the Roman seizure of Sardinia in 237 BC. Classical Philology, 91 (1996): 203-222.

This one is on Jstor and I will retrieve it and sent it with the Culham paper. This is an interesting paper as Carey puts forward the Roman occupation of Sardinia was legal according to ancient customs and law.

Thompson W.E. The Battle of the Bagradas. Hermes, 64 (1986) P. 111-117.

Unfortunately Cry Hermes is not on Jstor, and like Historia, is not available electronically. Many years ago I got in contact with Professor Thompson to discuss his paper on Bagradas. Like all who have read it, it is hard to understand his definition of the maneuvers of the armies as there are no diagrams. Professor Thompson was kind enough to send me hand drawn diagrams on graph paper of the maneuvers. Not sure if I agree with some of the maneuvers as they would be extremely difficult to conduct, and they are not mentioned in the Hellenistic military manuals.

But it is not all bad news. Big Grin D D I can send you dozens of other academic papers on the Roman army, Polybius, Hellenistic Warfare and the Punic Wars.
Hi,
Quote:Unfortunately Cry Hermes is not on Jstor, and like Historia, is not available electronically.
Some older issues of Hermes are actually online here. Cookies must be allowed and PDF reader is needed. :wink:

Teg, I don't know if you already have it, but "Polybius und sein Werk" by O. Cuntz can be found here.

Greek text and translations of Polybios with Walbank's commentaries are here.

I hope it will be helpful.

Kind regards
Alexandr