Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
request
Dear colleagues! I am a Russian postgraduate and writing a dissertation «Polybius as a military historian». Of course, a large part of it will be dedicated to his view on Roman army. The library of our university is very poor. Our university does not have jstor. I am extremely needed in these articles and books:

1. G. Schepens s article: Polybius as a historian of Punic wars:the problem of objectivity. In: Studia Phoenicia (Orientalia Lovanensia analecta, 33 (1989)). P. 317-327.
2. Scala R. Die Studien des Polybios. Stuttgart, 1890.
3. Culham P. :Chance, Chaos and Command in Ancient Military Engagements //World futures, 27 (1989). P. 191-205.
4. Mauersberger A. Polybios-Lexicon. Berlin, 1956-1975. Vol. 3-4. pages after 1094.
5. Crump G. Ammianus Marcellinus as a military historian. Wiesbaden, 1975 .
6. Walbank F.W. Polibius as military expert // Polybius to Vegetius.
Essays on the Roman Army and Hadrian's Wall presented to Brian Dobson / Ed.
P.R. Hall. 2002. P. 19-30

7. Pedech P. Polybe hipparque de la confederation acheenne (170-169 avant J.C.). Etudes classiques, 37 (1969) :252-259.

8. Walbank F.W. Polybius and the aitiai of the Second Punic War. Liverpool Classical monthly 8.4 (1983).:62-63.
9. Krentz P. Deception in Archaic and Classical Warfare. In: War and Violence in Ancient Greece, edited by H. van Wees, 167-200. London, 2000.
10. Garin E. Polibio e Machiavelli. Quaderni di Storia 31: 5-22.
11. Carey W.L. . Nullus Videtur Dolo Facere : the Roman seizure of Sardinia in 237 BC. Classical Philology, 91 (1996): 203-222.
12. Capelle, W. Griechische ethic und romische Imperialismus. Klio, 25 (1932):86-113.
13. Barcelo P. The perception of Carthage in Classical Greek Historiography. ActaClassica 37(1994):1-14.
14. Scholten J. The Politics of Plunder: Aitolians and their Coinon in the early Hellinistic Era. Berkeley, 2004.
15. Cole T. The sources and composition of Polybius VI. Historia, 13 (1964). P. 440-486.
16. Dubuisson M. La vision Polybienne de Rome. In : Puropses of history : Studies in Greek Historiography from the 4-th to the 2-nd century BC. Leuven, 1990. P. 233-245.
17. Erskine A. Polybius and barbarian Rome. Mediterranio antico 3.1. (2000). P. 165-182.
18. Golan D. Polybius and the Third Macedonian war. Ant. Class. 58 (1989). P. 112-127.
19. Thompson W.E. The battle of the Bagradas. Hermes, 64 (1986). P. 111-117.

I will be glad if somebody will scan or download from jstor even some of these articles. My e-mail address is: [email protected] . I have heard, that Peter Connolly wrote an article concerning Polybius s description of Roman army. When and where was it published? Could somebody scan and send me these article?
Hi,
I think I can supply a copy of Gary Crump's article on Ammianus Marcellinus. I'll PDF it in work later this week and email it to your address. Email me off board if ou haven't got it by Thursday in case I forget.
I probably also have articles on Procopius as a military historian if they are of use. Unfortunately I no longer have access to my old university library and my research was Late Roman sieges but if you can think of anything else from that period that I might be able to help you out with I'll dig through what photocopies I do have.

All the best,
Stephen
Stephen McCotter
Can you send me your article about the comparison of legion and phalanx? Do you have any other articles concerning the theme "Polybius as a military historian"? What is the difference between POlybius and other ancient greek military historians - for example, Xenophon? My name is Eugene.
Dear SMC! Can you ask your friends to seek and scan some articles from this list? I am extremely needed in them. I have already published some articles about Polybius, but in Russian.
Do the participants of forum know the e-mail addresses of historians who are researching Polybius, hellenistic warfare, Punic wars or Roman Republican army?
Hi Eugene,
I'm really sorry but I got mixed up about the Crump article on Ammianus. What I have at home is

G.A. Crump, ‘Ammianus and the Late Roman Army’, Historia, 22 (1973), 91-103.

I can PDF that for you if you want but obviously its not the same piece or work.
I've been up to my eyes handing stuff in but I'll root through the offprints I have and see what other articles I have on other authors as military historians.

Sincere apologies,
Stephen
Stephen McCotter
I have some additional requests:

Mauersberger A. Polybios-Lexicon. Bd. 3-4. Berlin, 1966-1975.

Pritchett. Greek state at war. Volume II. Berkekly, 1974.I need those parts, which tell about military discipline and generalship (but, it is a pity, I do not know properly, what parts of this book contain this information.)

Welwei K.W. Demokratie and Masse bei Polybios. Historia, 15 (1966): pages 282-301.
Quote:Mauersberger A. Polybios-Lexicon. Bd. 3-4. Berlin, 1966-1975.
Pritchett W.K. Greek state at war. Volume II. Berkekly, 1974.I need those parts, which tell about military discipline and generalship (but, it is a pity, I do not know properly, what parts of this book contain this information.)
Have you any idea how big these are, Eugene?! Smile

Mauersberger is just a giant word list. Is there a particular word you're interested in? I got the Roman Society to send me a xerox of lithobolos -- I think they charged about 0.20 GBP per page.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Eugene you might find tis site interesting www.attalus.org

Kind regards
Quote:I have some additional requests:

Pritchett. Greek state at war. Volume II. Berkekly, 1974.I need those parts, which tell about military discipline and generalship (but, it is a pity, I do not know properly, what parts of this book contain this information.)

The chapters on the generals are in Part II, pages 4 -116
Christopher Webber

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/thracian">http://www.flickr.com/thracian
<a class="postlink" href="http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/thracian_photos/">http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... an_photos/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/thracianTV">www.youtube.com/thracianTV

[Image: Folp126_small.jpg]
In Mauersberger s book I am most needed in pages with those terms:
strategos
hegemon
polemos
polemike
logismos
orge
thumos

I will be glad if somebody will scan and send me these several pages.
Additional request:

Hindsley C. Eros and military command in Xenophon. Classical Quarterly, 44 (1994). P. 347-366.
Dear MSC! Can you send me your PDF article about Ammianus and late roman army?