Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple things I made...
Short of steam bending I often am able to select a log whose circumference corresponds to the desired crest box arc.

I made a "J" crest for a Spartan friend using a branch of nearly the correct shape.. would have loved to use a sapling with a dense root mass.. kinda like a hurley bat or field hockey stick
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Nice stuff, Magnus!

I'm starting to really like the natural wood and horsehair look for crests as much as the painted [red]. 8)
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
My new one is painted in the greek style of 3 rows of black checkers on white...then i'm really going out there with a striped crest of black and red. Confusedhock:

I still have to put the hair into it, i'll post pics when it's done

Legion: TBD
Quote:Ave,
Love the Vexillation...GREAT job. A quick question, if I may: 1.) Does it look like there is even a remote chance that the crest box might split at the front where the wood grain runs parallel to the hair "holes"?

2.) Have you, or any one considered making a steam box to bend the wood to make a crest box. The steam box wouldn't need to be very big, neither would the fire underneath it. We use steam boxes for bending the ribs in boat building and I think this might work for your crests. That way one has the grain going horizontal all the way and no chance of the drill holes breaking the wood. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Salve,
Vitruvius, a.k.a. Larry Mager

Sorry, didn't see your questions Larry!

1), Not really...the wood is just supporting horse hair, it's not under any pressure so as long as your holes turn out ok, the box itself shouldn't be damaged.

2) Your method sounds good...you could also try using a harder wood too in order to increase the box's strenght. I use pine, which is havoc when it comes to drilling the holes cuz the bit will drift, but it's easier to cut with a a hand jig-saw.

Great looking stuff! Excellent work on the lettering!
Theodorex Rufus

aka Brent Jacobson

Equites Honoraini Senores
Quote:My new one is painted in the greek style of 3 rows of black checkers on white

Oh, but that's so boring, Magnus, you ought to go with something like Magenta and Teal checkers :twisted:

Or a Greek Key with blue and orange Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
lol...i figure it's bad enough that i'm putting a greek style crest box on a roman helmet...you really want me to get flogged don't you?

Ok, fixed the Vexillum!

OK, what was wrong with it? Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It was missing that line over the number...christian and matt had said that in reference to legion names, there was a line over the unit #, in order to differentiate it from regular abbreviations. So I added one in. Smile

Ahhhh........right....the seive is on form again.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel