Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple things I made...
Ok, this is the last vexillum I paint, I swear lol! The straps on the side will be replaced...new blue leather ones with silver studs and new terminals.

The crest is white horsehair with natural pine and linseed oil. It's for a bud from II AVG in Windsor, Ontario Canada.

Legion: TBD
Very nice job Matt - very neat paintwork!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Good lettering and spacing. That from a guy who used to work in a sign shop. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Love that standard!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: !Laudes!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Well done, frater.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Thanks guys! I hope the guy likes the crest....I'll find out tommorow night lol.

Very nice work Magnus Big Grin realy like that standard, are you going to plate the crest box.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hey Tony, probably not that one. The guy just wants the natural wood with some linseed oil.

In truth, I'm not sure I'd know how to plate it...I have to make a centurion one for me and I was planning on painting it in an greek style.

Nice work Matt Big Grin wink: - there's usually (always?) a line above the number of a LEGIO; I'm not sure just why- perhaps to clearly define it as a number and not just an abbreviation?- but it's there and is clearly an important detail.

Anyone know anything further about the line btw?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Yup. Since the Romans used loads of abbreviations, it was feasible to use these lines, since there often was I or V or X at the end of an abbreviation, which then could have been counted into the number accidentally. Number sign, in that sense.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Magnus,

the vexillium looks great. did you really paint it?! Which kind of paint do you use and how do you avoid the wet paint to spread along the fibres? kind of chemical fixation line like with silk painting? which material is the vexillium?

@Matt: yeah, think so. have no source in mind, but read it somewhere, that numbers were distinguished that way from letters. but dunno if it happened invariably.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Ok, that's easy enough to add in...I'll do that after this week-end!

Thanks Matt!

Hey Carsten, I used acryllic fabric paints...and drew the letters onto the fabric with good old pencil. I then just free-handed it...used 2 coats. But for the corner things i used masking tape to get the lines nice and straight.

Quote:Nice work Matt Big Grin wink: - there's usually (always?) a line above the number of a LEGIO; I'm not sure just why- perhaps to clearly define it as a number and not just an abbreviation?- but it's there and is clearly an important detail.

Anyone know anything further about the line btw?

No, but I had noticed on several of our members scuta....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave,
Love the Vexillation...GREAT job. A quick question, if I may: 1.) Does it look like there is even a remote chance that the crest box might split at the front where the wood grain runs parallel to the hair "holes"?

2.) Have you, or any one considered making a steam box to bend the wood to make a crest box. The steam box wouldn't need to be very big, neither would the fire underneath it. We use steam boxes for bending the ribs in boat building and I think this might work for your crests. That way one has the grain going horizontal all the way and no chance of the drill holes breaking the wood. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Salve,
Vitruvius, a.k.a. Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
I was wondering about that for the reinforcements on the scuta too! Sounds the right way to approach it to me!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel