Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing link = Hoplites in France / Gauls
Xairete

We are happy to inform you about the creation of an Hoplite group in France, mainly centered on the Rhone river (from Lyon to the Mediteranean), and in connection with Athenea Promakhos.

We hope to fill up the gap between hoplites in Spain, UK, Germany and in other parts of western Europe and replace the missing link that will allow to lock the ranks of the phalanx.

Candidates are welcome !

Regards
FROESSEL
Congratulations! Succes!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hello Demetrios,wellcome and congratulations! Indeed,france neede to have a hoplite group!Good luck in your beginning and whish we will see your ranks becoming deeper and deeper,until you reach the "Theban way" :lol:
Any photos from your beginning?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Laudes to you and your colleauges. Even more at Marathon...
Peter Raftos
Pytheas rises from the ashes of obscurity!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Best wishes for your success from Greece!
Please advice your website. Laudes!

Kind regards
Thank you for you congratulations !

Be conscious however that this "group" is no more than 2 people for the moment and that it is an extension of Athenea Promakhos : so beware of not counting twice people who might be candidates for a meeting in Marathon ! Big Grin
Since the reenactment days at St Romain en Gal we have seen a few people that seem to be interested so we hope to act as a magnet to attract and to help people who have intended (as I have) for ages to reenact as hoplites.
Would be nice to bring one or two files to Marathon...
FROESSEL
Have to give laudes for a great feat!!Bonne chance a toute le monde dans le groupe!!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Hi Demetrios, Congratulations!

I would like to wish you good luck!

Just talked yesterday with Eduardo Guillen, the Athenea Promakhos Strategos. He can't be online very often because he is very busy, but he sends greetings to all of you and he hopes to see you in the battlefield! Big Grin

I am also with Athenea, hoping to have some free time to go with them. I am the only one in my city just now.
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Hola ! We will manage tu beat Athenea Promakhos on the battlefield with the best othismos ever seen... lol
FROESSEL
Congratulations from Canada! See you at Marathon!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Congratulations from the iberians of Ibercalafell!
It's always a good notice the creation of a new reenactment team! I wish you a long way to cross!

Strenght, Patience and Perseverance!
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
Demetrios,
If you need a name for the group you have some good choices from the Greek colonies established:

600 BC : Foundation of Massalia (Marseille).

575 à -530 BC : Establishment of other trading posts to the west by the Phocaeans: Agatha (Agde), Emporion (Ampurias), and in the lower Rhône valley, commercial stops between the Greeks of Marseilles and indigenous peoples: Rhodanousia (Saint-Gilles-du-Gard?), Heraclea (perhaps) and Theline (Arles). The latter became a colony between 500 and 400 BC.

400 BC : Retreat of the Greeks from the center of the lower Rhône valley (the colony of Theline becomes the agglomeration of Arelate with a mixed population), benefiting the reinforcement of the coastal line of defense by the foundation of new small colonies: Olbia (Hyeres), Antipolis (Antibes), Agathe (Agde) reestablished by Marseilles. -

300 BC : Reinforcement of the commercial circuits against repeated attacks by the Celto-Ligurians: foundation of colonies at Tauroeis (Le Brusc) and Nikaia (Nice).

OK so now we have 17 groups that I know of including Demetrios':
Ares Anax
Athena Promachos
Enomotoi
Hetairoi
Hoplites of Athena
Spartan Society
Spartan Warband
Spartan World
Spartiatikes Mores
300 Spartan Warriors
The Ancient Hoplitikon of Melbourne
The Greek Warriors
The Hoplite
The Hoplite Association
The Sydney Ancients
Warriors of Greece
Western Spartans

From memory Italy has one or two groups as well - Teuta Spineta doing experimental archeology with Greco-Etruscan material and Figli del Sole who do late classical and Hellenistic living history.

I'm sure there was a group in Russia doing Ancient Greek living history a little while back ago but I haven't seen a webpage for them in over 3 years.

This doesn't include those individuals and their friends putting together greek kit on the quiet.

My we have grown !
Peter Raftos
Best add another one. Taxeis Plataiai has 11 member so far.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Yee Ha!
Peter Raftos