Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onager - First Components Delivered
Salvete Omnes!

Well, finally we received our first Onager components from the workshop. A lot of grinding, polishing and finishing work to be done, but at least it's a start. Next we have the ratchet and frame to show. Check here:

http://www.romanarmy.ie/Onager%20project.htm
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Your link doesn't work. :wink:

Edit: Now it does. Smile
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Salvete Omnes!

Well, finally we received our first Onager components from the workshop. A lot of grinding, polishing and finishing work to be done, but at least it's a start. Next we have the ratchet and frame to show. Check here:

[url:3c30iksl]http://www.romanarmy.ie/Onager%20project.htm[/url]
Here it does work
ALA I BATAVORUM
or just go to their web site and choose 'Onager Project' :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Check here: http://www.romanarmy.ie/Onager%20project.htm
I'm disappointed you've gone for the classic Payne-Gallwey design. I'd love to see a full-sized De Reffye (as in [amazon]Greek and Roman Artillery 399 BC-AD 363[/amazon], plate G).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Is that the same as the Osprey or a totally new book Duncan?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Is that the same as the Osprey or a totally new book Duncan?

It's the osprey.
ALA I BATAVORUM
New publisher or what?

BTW Nerva, nicework, but just one question?

were the washers not tapered? those seem just a wee bit thin walled?
Could be the perspective tho'? :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, regardless of the type of design chosen, I'm glad to see someone making a larger format onager. How much do you project this unit will weigh, and how do you intend to get it from your workshop to the firing line? Flat trailer?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:New publisher or what?

As I click that link I'm forwarded to Amazon to buy an Osprey book.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Chhers! I didn't go that far, as have fun police in control.... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well, regardless of the type of design chosen, I'm glad to see someone making a larger format onager.
Don't know about larger format, David. An onager with a 6½" spring is a baby! Big Grin

I suggested -- all theory, of course -- that Ammianus Marcellinus' monster onager probably (okay, possibly) had a 50 cm (20") spring. Now that's an onager! I want to see someone build that one. :lol:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Yes, now that would be an ONAGER Confusedhock: 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Nice martin!!!I might call up sometime to have a look see..that and maybe get some gear!!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Hi Duncan

I'm very disappointed you're disappointed Cry This is our first effort, and hopefully, from here we'll go on to bigger and better things. If you'd like to get involved in an actual building project, or even help out with future projects it would be most genuinely appreciated - I'm being very genuine and very serious here, I'd be very, very appreciative of any help from yourself Duncan:!:

GJC, you're quite correct, our washers are very crude. The originals would have been bronze cast and had a variable cross section. Circular at the top and elliptical at the bottom.

Right both Tom Feeley and Len Morgan are providing advice right now so hopefully we won't embarrass them too badly :oops:

By the way, why a 6" spring :?: Because that's all we can get into the back of our Tranist van :lol:
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius hilt components Anonymous 6 2,635 05-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Anonymous