Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torc reconstruction
My first attempt at a torc. I used C240 brass (80% copper and 20% brass which is according to B&C one of the Roman brass compositions).

I took several strands and twisted them into a cord. Then I took each cord and twisted them into the final torc.

For the terminals I took hexagonal nut with a dome (acorn nut), ground down the edges with a file, sanded into a smooth shape.

Then a soldered the edges of the torc into the termini.

I know that torcs that have been found are of varying sizes. I chose to do a smaller one that I can wear as an armillae as well.

Below is the link:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/doc9999/5.jpg
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Very nice. Do you have any pictures of the progress?

What diameter had the strands you started with? And how many are put together?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen,

Sorry for the late reply.

I took 10 strands of 20 gauge wire, and twisted them into a cord (I made a total of seven cords).

I then took the seven cords and twisted them together. I soldered the two ends of the twisted cords into "acorn" nuts which were filed and sanded into the final shape.

I was not really planning on posting my torc since its construction is not a really big deal so I did not take any photos while I was making it.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The image above is the acorn nut I used.

Thanks for the compliment

Paolo