Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grinding a Sword Blade How To?
Now to this is the start once tang is cut;

The point is next;

Mark a centre line;

The centre line is very important if you do either the apex or the leaf profile this is the part of the blade the grinder does not touch. Along the edge of the blade it might be worth drawing a line alone its length aprox 7mm in from the edge to the point as a guide I just do this by eye. again when you start grinding you do not go beyond this.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Next when you start grinding take your time, far better you domore passes lightly than take too much of straight away. now the cutting edge if you can it might be worth drawing a line just over 2mm wide this will help you gauge how far to grind down too.
When grinding keep it moving dont stop a keep a rythum up, your stance should be like throwing a javlin and use your legs to move but keep your feet in the same place.

After your first couple of passes this is the edge thickness you should have, dont do just one side do both.

This is what both sides will look like.

Keep grinding down now until you are near the 1mm mark this will be your fail safe edge,for finnishing, I hope you can follow this Big Grin  
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
For the point I will use a Fullum for this but it will work for Pompeiis ect. Grind as close to the point as you can;

Then this is the only time you will grind over the centre line do one side first, or you can take a file to it just take a bit of with the grinder then finish by file again you are going down to the 1mm mark.

Once you have done one side redraw the line and the other side this is what you are working to now.
Once you have done all sides this is what you are left with;

You can leave the point for now and concentrate on the rest of the blade Big Grin D  
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Great post Tony! Very informative!
It all seems so easy. So, if I understand correct, untill now you used the grinder discs, didn't you? And on what angle did you hold your grinder?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes that is right unless you used the cutting discs to do the tang and point, unless you use a hack saw Big Grin ?   Hmm the best way would be to use the line that you have drawen around the edge 7mm in and if you can the just over 2mm thick line along the thickness of the blade edge if you grind up to each one this will give you the angle, Again it might be worth doing a trial run first to get a feel of it. As you can see on the Fullum the amount I have ground away on both sides as well as the pic of the edge and how much I have left there.

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Okay, maybe I'm just asking something stupic, as I didn't use such a grinder, yet. What I meant was the angle between you swordblade and the grinderdisc/grindermachine. Is this 90 degrees, or under another angle, so you can 'slide' over the blade more easily?

I just don't know, as I never used such a tool voor grinding (but, unfortanatelly I've 2 of these tools laying in my workshop, so I guess another project will be comming soon)
ALA I BATAVORUM
As I cannot take a pic holding the grinder I hope these shots will help Big Grin  

This is aprox on the angles that you will need to grind the edges down.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks! I really need to buy me a piece of steel.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I used the same method to create my pugio. It works very well.
Quintilianus/Jurgen Schultz

Member of Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis

AUDI ET ALTERAM PASTEM
On the pics, where you show the angle which to hold the grinder in: is this the same grinding disc that can be seen on earlier pictures? Or are there grinding discs that have the grinding surface on the flat side? It looks a bit. :?

Another point is that you mention 1mm cutting discs, but all I get here are 2mm and 1mm seems further pretty fragile to me. (apart from this I found a hacksaw to be more efficient - at least in my hands Smile )

And can you say how long it took you to grind the sword? I ask since my neighbours are probably going to kill me as I found my angle grinder is even louder than the bench grinder. They probably won't tolerate a weeklong metall concert :lol:

btw, that's happened to the content of the "Absolut"-box ;-) )
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Tiberivs good points, the grinding pic shows the disc well worn and it is the same as the new one on a earlier pic 6mm.
The 1mm discs, if you can only obtain 2mm then use that. If I can I will find a web site that sells them, they are a bit specilist but you can buy them and Ive found them very robust.
If you are grinding outside noise will be a bit of a problem Sad but I did not time myself aprox 1 1/2-2 hrs I was more concerned with the posting. The thing is I am grinding spring steel so it takes a little longer, but the process is the same for mild steel.
I would say it would not take a week a day at the most say 5-6 hrs then there is the finishing.It just depends on the blade you intend to do this is a guide for a Pompeii blade. Take your time dont rush it even when you have the bug rushing through you Big Grin ?:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
thanks Big Grin
some further points:
could you say something about how you get blade sharp? (don't need to THAT sharp :lol: ) do you use sanding paper or a fine grindstone?
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Tiberivs sharp Confusedhock: :? lol: :lol: I will have to do pics of the process as I will do more work on the blade when I am of work next. Not that easy to explain unless the blade is near to that stage. On the whole I use stone of different grades plus I have diamond sharpeners which are excellent Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:If I can I will find a web site that sells them, they are a bit specilist but you can buy them and Ive found them very robust.

Yeah that would be cool 8) , please let us know! Big Grin

Greetz, Manuel
Manuel Peters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Iron Sword Grinding Bryan 1 986 04-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Grinding wheat with stone handmill? pavka 9 3,282 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Last Post: pavka
  sword blade started/FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 108 25,791 04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake