Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grinding a Sword Blade How To?
Today up the workshop so I can start another blade Big Grin   I will try to answer questions on the easy steps to turn;
THIS

INTO THIS;

The blade I am working on will be a cavalry sword but the process stages are the same just with a few small differences which I will explain. So if you have any grinding issues :lol:    :lol:   drop a line. Its a sunny day so of I go Big Grin  
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Cool. I'm realy looking forward to this topic. So, I shall start with the first questions?

What dimensions do you use? Just the with of widest point of your finished blade? Or do you add some? And the lenght of the blade + handle + some rivet space?
ALA I BATAVORUM
You are lucky I was just going to turn computer off Big Grin  
1. The dimentions you use can be from a knowen sword,in a museum ect Which makes it easier to do draw onto card the shape so it will give you an idea of final shape and your main dimention is the width of the blade to go with first then total length;

2. The handle length you can go with origonal size but we tend to have much larger hands especially me so I would go with your own hand size as the gauge as you are the one holding it.
3. Rivet space I think you mean how much to stick out of the top of the pommel

This is how much I had to work with it does not make any difference as you can cut it down before riveting it on unless you are going to put a thread on, and if so again just cut of the excess.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
And a nother question:

What would be the minimum tools you need for this job?
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
This will be an incredibly helpful topic -- I have always wanted to try this, and I appreciate you posting it, frater.

Regards,

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Having met and seen Tonys work first hand,
this is definately going to be an instructive post!

ATD is impeccable, 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks everyone and you Gaivs :oops:  
Folkert the kit is simple; The best grinder you can optain or buy.
                                 : 1mm + 6mm Grinding discs 3 of each
                                 : A workbench or vice.
                                 : G clamps.
                                 : Belt sander, not essental but handy.
                                 : Different grades of flap wheels.
                                 : And most important a length of hardwood
                                   to put the blade onto.
Like this;

Plus files of different grades.
SAFTEY AS WELL;
You will need goggles or better still full face mask, dust mask and I use my leather apron as you can set yourself alight :oops:    Confusedhock:    :lol:  
This last bit is important as discs can explode and fly around. so be safe Big Grin  
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
A good tip to watch out for as well are counterfit disc's.....there are copycat discs out there that look like OEM, but are not of the same quality, and you have a higher rate of failure, ie exploding disc's!! Confusedhock: :x
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Here is some picks Big Grin  

Gaivs is right about discs hence why I mentioned it Big Grin D  
Regards Brennnivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Hey tony, any chance of posting a few videos like on youtube or something?

Legion: TBD
Tony,

Do you do all stock reduction, or partial stock reduction then forging the edges for a harder cutting surface ?

Also what are you using for steel? 1050?

Phillip
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
I am VERY disappointed.. you've left the safety guards on your angle grinders!

:wink:

I've also had very good success with sanding discs for the angle grinder and surface conditioning discs
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Hi Tony,

I'm glad you set up this thread finally. I've been eagerly waiting for since you announced you would make one. Big Grin

Meanwhile I bought a (very cheap) angle grinder for practice and used it a bit. Must say here, that I really got even more respect for what you do, even when your gear is far better. 8)
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Magnvs that could be difficult to do one hand on camera the other grinding :lol: but I have thought about it.
Qvintvs yes I do it all by stock reduction I have not the time to forge a blade due to work and it would be a long time to do a sword,Ill will do this when I retire :lol: what I am am doing is to help those out there who would like to have a go so I am keeping it basic, and I am saying to use any mild steel, as the sword is not for use in anger it dosent realy need a harden edge.
Hibernicvs sorry about the safety bit :lol: dont want eyes put out or set yourself alight and yes I fought to mention the grinder flap wheel chears Big Grin
Tiberivs you will pick it up and say Why have I never tried this Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Now to start Big Grin If you are doing this for the first time it might be better to do a Pompeii blade as a Fullum/Mainz the blade geometry changes so more chance of ruining a blade. Once you have a feel of it then you could go on to this.
Start buy marking out the blade use a knowen size. put a centre line down the metal use a perment marker measure the blade length say 20".Useing a set square mark across the blade for the shoulders. then mark the tang, were it meets the shoulder I give it 1/2" wide at this point,then 7"long for the tang should be more than enough and taper this to 1/4" for the pommel nut if it is too long when you do the hilt just trim down. Then mark out the point. TIP it is sometimes handy to centre punch the centre line on the tang with a couple of dots do both sides as the line can easily worn off and you can quickly draw it again with the point being the other mark. You can either hacksaw the tang or useing the cutting disc cut of the excess as well as the point. If you use the grinder always cut a bit off the line as you can file or grind down to your line.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Iron Sword Grinding Bryan 1 986 04-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Grinding wheat with stone handmill? pavka 9 3,282 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Last Post: pavka
  sword blade started/FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 108 25,790 04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake