Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"FOTRE" vs. "Gladiator" smackdown: Your
Ave Centurio Crispus,

I largely agree with your thorough critique and I second Narukami's comments. But I think you need to have a more weighted scoring system. "Script" being the most important factor (IMO) should probably be worth something like 4 points.

BTW, are we comparing the Extended Edition of Gladiator to FOTRE ? Or the original release ?

I prefer the extended version even though it does slow the film's pace considerably. Great films should be longer, IMO. Smile

Quote:LIVIUS / MAXIMUS -- Russell Crowe absolutely blows Steven Boyd away. It's true that General Maximus is a much more compelling and better-realized character than Livius, but one gets the sense that, if the roles were reversed and they each spoke each other's lines, Crowe would still come out on top-- he's just a much stronger, more weighty presence than Bowd, who comes across as a rather thick-headed, dutiful lummox. WINNER: Gladiator.
It is also interesting to contrast the two men's reactions to the Emperor's sudden death. Livius is willing to accept Commodus in order to avert a bloody civil war whereas Maximus is willing to start one (which gets him into trouble right from the start.) Confusedhock:

Boyd's performance was so wooden in this film. But the same can be said for everyone else in the cast except for Guinness. The cast was great but when you have a bad script the cast can't carry the film on its own. Appearance-wise, Boyd looked too Nordic which only clashed with Sophia's Latin features. He looked great in Ben-Hur though where he gave a better performance.

In terms of watchability : I have to say Gladiator is infinitely more watchable than FOTRE.

FOTRE is superior in so many ways but it has more flaws at the same time which makes it so heartwrenching to watch. It's hard for me to say which was worse, the score or the script. The latter is more important of course but the score greatly marred the film.

~Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Films - by Graham Sumner - 06-04-2008, 10:21 PM
FOTRE - by Graham Sumner - 06-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Re: "FOTRE" vs. "Gladiator" smackdown: Your - by Theodosius the Great - 06-05-2008, 02:00 AM
extended.. - by Caius Fabius - 06-07-2008, 05:00 PM
FOTRE - by Graham Sumner - 06-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,914 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus