Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids)
Today I finished the shield. I put two coats of clear matte finish polyurethane over the shield to protect it. After that much work, and as good as it turned out, nothing will ever touch this shield. Even if I decide to start reenacting, I will make a copy of my Corinthian shield to tear up. This is now my personal favorite out of roughly 35 different type shields.

I put 6 black tassels on the inside and ran black cord around the inner perimeter. I whipped the ends of the rope so they won't unravel and then wound the cord over itself three times at the right side for my grip. By thickening it, it fits nicely in the hand now for a tight grip. Enjoy the pics and good luck to anyone starting one themselves. Feel free to ask questions if anyone needs them that is new to making these, but I am done adding responses unless there are questions. Thanks for the support.

I will polish the porpax to a nice finish before each use, but I left it alone for now. It will hang on the wall for months so there is no point to polishing it yet. It will tarnish anyway hanging in this humidity.

[Image: 061a.jpg]

[Image: 062a.jpg]

[Image: 063a.jpg]

Giannis,

Yes sir. You are correct. I am already cutting linen as we speak. I am anticipating about two months for the build with scales.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie

Messages In This Thread
Aspis - by Theron - 06-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Chris B - 06-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Gabber700 - 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aspis Construction Method rocktupac 34 19,193 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rocktupac
  making an aspis Chuck Russell 153 60,331 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy