Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids)
Quote:
hoplite14gr:19hc0xli Wrote:In the Carian coast colonies contacted Rhodian colonists who were Doreans. The Key pattern fits if the gent carrying was related to a Rhodian lady of the Dymanes Doric clan.

Kind regards

Stefanos, are you saying that this Greek key design on this shield is authentic for a Rhodian shield (or any other). I understood, from speaking with you a while ago, that the Greek key per se was not used on shields but rather the simplified key design known a Menander, as seen on the Chigi Vase. Where they both used? I have not yet seen this kind of key on ancient depictions of shields but I would be interested to see them if anyone has one. I cant see why it would not be possible for use on a shield; they seemed to put the design on more or less everything else… and it does look nice! Big Grin wink:

I couldn't agree more. With tens of thousands of hoplites and shields being a personal preference/highly individualized, I would have a hard time believing that not even one of them put it on their shield. I personally think if the design shows up in the time period, it is highly likely that it was used. You cannot prove it wasn't anyways. I used it because it really pops in that design.

I just finished the inner rim using a pattern close to the meander. WOW! I am giddy with the shield. I will put clear coats on the whole shield tomorrow to protect the paint job, put the rope/tassel work on the inside and post pics. I couldn't have hoped for it to turn out so well. I am very happy with it.

Of course, now I feel bad........like I am cheating on my beloved Corinthian shield. I guess I am not a faithful kind of guy. Oh well, she'll have to forgive me. :lol:
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie

Messages In This Thread
Aspis - by Theron - 06-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Chris B - 06-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Gabber700 - 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aspis Construction Method rocktupac 34 19,192 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rocktupac
  making an aspis Chuck Russell 153 60,322 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy