Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids)
Quote:I have to say that once more,Matt's shield has influenced dozens of re-enactors in that matter.

Well, I'm happy to have led the way! But I'm even happier to see other people expanding on my work. And if Chris decides to sell shields as a business, I'll be ecstatic!

I got this method from the Sydney Ancients in Australia, remember, so I don't want to hog the credit!

Quote:I think he was the first to make such a simple porpax with only the trapezoid plates and not the long bands,the so typical in art and in the actual finds. Matt,did you see this design anywhere? In a vase I'm missing,perhaps...

Oh, geez, did I mess up?? I honestly don't remember clearly, it was too long ago. All I had to work from was Connolly and Warry, and I may have gotten a look at a small book or two on vase paintings (but that might have been later). So I must have concluded the same thing Chris mentioned, that the long bands were under the porpax but not necessarily part of it. I could still add them! But I'd have to get more bronze, and I'd probably use something thinner than the metal of the porpax.

You know, we really need some Greek Military Equipment Conferences, and an Ancient Greek Military Equipment Journal (AGMEJ). The rotten Romans have all kinds of stuff like that, after all! We're still arguing basics about how to make the studs for a linothorax... Time to raid the museum storage rooms, aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Ahem. Khairete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Matthew Amt - 06-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Aspis - by Theron - 06-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Gabber700 - 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aspis Construction Method rocktupac 34 19,191 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rocktupac
  making an aspis Chuck Russell 153 60,318 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy