Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids)
I will let it dry, cut slits in the material every few inches from the edge of the rim ON THE BACK and trim the excess to leave a few inches on the edge in a ring around the shield. Then I carefully fold it over the rim to the back rim and glue it down. LET THE FRONT DRY OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL THE WORK YOU JUST DID. When you start pulling, it will pull the material away from the front bowl unless you let it dry before gluing it to the back.

[Image: 049a.jpg]

[Image: 050a.jpg]

Tomorrow I will cut a perfect ring the size of the back rim and then glue it over the material on the back rim to hide all the imperfections created by the two pieces of material meeting. I cut it slightly smaller then the width of the rim, and then glue it down so the there are absolutely no frays near the edge. Once the material is painted with a few coats, it shouldn't ever fray.

After this is done I will start the paint job for the shield and show you all how I make stencils and paint my shield.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie

Messages In This Thread
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Chris B - 06-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Aspis - by Theron - 06-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Re: Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids) - by Gabber700 - 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aspis Construction Method rocktupac 34 19,193 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rocktupac
  making an aspis Chuck Russell 153 60,330 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy