Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Numantia in Danger
via PhDiva:

Quote:Neville Morley (University of Bristol) posted an item about the possible damage to Numantia on the Classics List. It's a site I'm very interested in, because this is where Gaius Marius (biography in progress, please feel free to bother agent about it, not me) began his career. Scipio Aemilianus spotted Marius' great military talent at Numantia, and it is also where Marius and Jugurtha first met.

Dr. Morley has written the following in English for the UNED web site, and kindly gave me permission to reproduce it:

Numantia, the city of Arevaci tribe of the Celtiberians in what is now north-central Spain, is famous for its resistance to the Romans in the twenty-year conflict of the Numantine Wars, beginning with the city’s revolt in 154 and ending with its surrender in 133 following an eight-month siege. The majority of Numantia’s inhabitants are said to have committed suicide rather than be captured. As part of the Roman province of Hispania Tarraconensis, Numantia continued to be occupied well into late antiquity. Despite its importance as a symbol of resistance and Spanish identity, its location was forgotten until it was rediscovered in 1860; since the early twentieth century, archaeologists have gradually uncovered areas of the pre-Roman and Roman city and some of the Roman military encampments outside. The surrounding area is equally rich in Celtiberian, Roman and post-Roman remains and sites.

The region government of Castilla y Leon and the city of Soria have embarked on a project for the development of a new industrial site at El Cabezo, which is adjacent to the site of Numantia and the Roman encampment and will affect part of the Romanesque site of Los Arcos de San Juan del Duero. The project will have a devastating impact on the landscape of an area of extraordinary archaeological interest, and raises considerable concerns about the preservation of the sites.

The plan has met widespread opposition from a number of quarters, including the Instituto de España, the Real Academia de Historia, the Catalan Institute of Classical Archaeology, the Spanish Section of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) and a number of Ancient History Departments in Spain. A full outline of the project (in Spanish) can be found here.

The Ancient History Department of UNED (Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia) has launched a petition advocating that the site of Numantia be given world heritage status.

The success of this move may play a significant role in persuading the local authorities to reconsider their plans. The petition form is again in Spanish, but reasonably easy to understand; the heading DNI stands for ‘Documento Nacional de Identidad’, and non-Spanish citizens should simply enter their country of origin. All lovers of the classics are strongly urged to support this campaign to protect a site of great historical importance.

Neville Morley
University of Bristol, UK
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Print it and get signers I guess is the plan of attack?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the "Heads Up" Danno. Many will have read the stirring story of Numantia's heroism, and subsequent awful fate in Duncan Campbell's excellent article in 'Ancient Warfare' vol.1 Issue 4.

I urge all RATters to support the petition. International support will have an influence beyond mere numbers.

Mods, can this become a 'sticky' please?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Definetly,everyones got to lend a hand to save it.I mean its one of the most famous stories around and to leave it dissappear without a fight isnt an option.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
I think that such petitions should be thought out twice. What I want to say is if the site is not physically endangered why would anyone stop development of the local economy.
Maybe some financial support could be achieved from the industry, that could help Numantia project for further research. There always has to be some kind of compromise.
We have to bear in mind and have to live with modern environment development. Historical sites should be incorporated in modern life, and should not stop it.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
I might be inclined to agree with Arahne on this. Perhaps the development shouldn't be stopped altogether, but rather delayed. Maybe the developer could be 'persuaded' by the government to contribute some funding to ensuring that anything of historical value be removed from the site before they begin building on top of it?

At the same time, I agree that reckless modernization is too opposite extreme. There has to be a middle ground that can be found.

ETA: Maybe one of our Spanish speaking members could provide a rough interpretation of the petition?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "The Limes: Danger on Rome\'s Frontier", ZDF Documentary Lindsay_Powell 7 2,366 08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Ron Andrea
  The danger of \'Private\' collections Robert Vermaat 11 3,306 03-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda