Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marathon 2011
Organise it for 2011 and i will be there.

I really think that we should hand over any organisational logistics to our Greek friends on the forum, who else will know the best way of going about this than them! First and foremost in this is the approval of the town of Marathon, if you dont get that you have a non starter.

just my two cents worth.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
I have a cousin who works in the MOD in Athens....not sure if that is of much help, or what information you need....I could fire him an e-mail to see what conflicts could arise?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm not going to be any help organizing it... after all I've never been out of the US. However, if we decide we're definitley going to do this and we get a time and place, I might be able to do a little recruiting.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

3. There is no 3. Mysterious!
Okay, I got a couple of very favorable responses from Greece today, one from a Government ministry (Ministry of Culture). However, to be fair, both responses stressed all the same negatives I've heard on this list. Giannis isn't exaggerating!
I'm going to roll ahead until someone on this list asks to take over. That'll suit me well--I will predict right now that without a Greek leader, this probably won't come off. However, the folks I'm talking to were enthusiastic, and that's something.
One of the respondents suggested the immediate enlistment of a media group. Anybody have one to hand? I'm looking for a film company or a documentary maker. I can come up with one in Canada (another reenactor here) but that won't have the same clout as one in the EU.

Anyway, I'll keep this thread informed. Please don't take this note as my declaration that it will happen. I say again--without a POC in Greece, I have huge doubts.

I'm a complete newcomer to this hobby. If I should stop, please tell me now. If not stopped, I will attempt to AT LEAST get the Town of Marathon to consent to such an event and I'll try to find AT LEAST one corporate sponsor. My goal would be to make it possible for any Hoplite (or classical impression) reenactor int he world to fly to Greece for reduced airfare and to live as cheaply as possible.

Anyone want to say no? Seriously--this is the time for a responsible adult to jump in and say--hey! New Guy! Stop!

Finally, both of my respondents wanted the 2011 date. things in Greece take time (hey, things in Canada take time, too). Anyone care to comment on that?
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Back in the day, I belonged to a group that produced coffeehouses and moved up to medium-venue concerts. We did best when we were able to link up with a university organization or a (liberal) church organization. Partnering with someone "bigger" and offering independent study credits for students - or getting the hall for free - really cut the overall cost of money and energy.

Would a big wine/olive oil/cheese exporter want to be a sponsor? Mythos beer? A university film school, electronic journalism department? An archaeology department partnered with a corporate sponsor? The Greek equivalent of PBS or Nova? The front end work is all about networking and who knows who. "Sir, if you aren't able to OK this, do you know who might be able to help us?" Hmmmm. Gonna think on this some more.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Athena, that's exactly right--good thinking.

Hmm. An Ouzo maker, perhaps?

If only Marathon had been fought on Lesvos, I'd actually know some people.
You're thinking correct. I wonder why no one from the Mores has replied positively or negatively yet. Seriously,I'm not connected with no one,and don't know anyone,especially in Southern or central Greece. My age doesn't really help me on this,and I insist that if the efford was done or presented by a group,like the Mores,and not by an individual,this would help much. Stefane,Themistokli,Idomeneas,what's your opinion about all this?
Kineas,what did they tell you from Greece? In what of all was I not exaggerating? About the Pagan preconception?Or the lack of knowlege about re-enacting?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:It is good to start preparing now, if you want the event to happen in 2011!
If you see the hassle to get or to maintain an operation permission for a
common boat, a souvlaki place or a simple one-man small shop, -you can
imagine what is lying ahead of you to organize an event of this size,
especially if it is something that happens the first time in Greece and
touches one of their most sensitive nerves.

This from a connection at the Ministry of Culture. Not my source to burn, so to speak.

I contacted Matt Barrett. He runs a website that does a superb job of providing tourist info for UK and Canadian tourists going to Greece.[url:130l94jr]http://www.greektravel.com/[/url] He showed immediate enthusiasm and is trying to connect me/us to the government. I believe that his approach--which is to contact folks who make money on the tourist trade and use them to leverage the government--is the appropriate one. As he lives half the year in Athens and has a Greek wife, his knowledge base is far, far greater than mine.
If the idea were to catch the eye of the Greek government, they might do the footwork themselves, instead of making reenactors do the work. Governments can be persnickety, but the nice thing is that once they say they will do a thing, they are not likely to back out--people's careers become involved!

Am I wrong, or did an Australian group go to Greece for 2004? Anyone have anything to say based on that trip?
The Trireme project only got off the ground when first the Greek navy agreed to pay for half, and ultimately all, the project; and provided accommodation etc for the crew on one of their bases.........

Perhaps the Greek Army might like to 'sponsor' "Marathon 2011" in the same way?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The hesitation,Gioi,is that there is a lot of work and running behind such things and we'd be very lucky if,as Kineas said,we make the governement organize the whole stuff.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Paul, that's a good idea.
You are rush on your post Giannis.
I posted before for "Mores"
All the ideas aour friends posted here are within the sphere of reality even for the "slow tempo" we have here.

For our part the club will be appearing in events sponcored by the authorities and promote the idea.
Slow but repetitive contact will be used with the media.
As for the government services some people have started trying but I don't want to jeopardize anything. If we have progress I will post more on this.

We will use Nemea 2008 (see event section) as platform to advance future event.

I recite my previous post:
...shove, shove, push... and it will give way...(phalanx method)

We will be on a "continius othismos" towards this goal. :!:

Kind regards
Hi Stephanos

Thanks for the email - will reply in a second - Just wanted to say on this thread that if we are looking at 2011 then I will try and give you the support of the Hoplite Association - nothing promised but we can discuss in July and I can put it forward to the other committee members at the Military Odyssey event in August here in the UK.

This could be something that could carry on the theme of Paul Allen's "International Greek Festival" idea which has become www.enomotoi.org

We have men and equipment and the group slowly grows each year. This will also give people time to plan ahead.

Hope this makes sense buddy.

Speak soon

Mark
Noli Nothis permittere te terere!!

Mark.
I agree with Stefanos about the phalanx approach. If we follow ALL of these ideas--if he pushes on the ground in Greece, and we follow up the other threads--we'll probably find ourselves having an event.

I have a tentative yes from a media company. Would anyone on this list OBJECT to being made part of a documentary? If it would help secure us this event?

Speak now!
Quote:I agree with Stefanos about the phalanx approach. If we follow ALL of these ideas--if he pushes on the ground in Greece, and we follow up the other threads--we'll probably find ourselves having an event.

I have a tentative yes from a media company. Would anyone on this list OBJECT to being made part of a documentary? If it would help secure us this event?

Speak now!

a. "The mechanics of Phalanx Combat"
b. "hoplites recreated in colour photos " (like the Europa militaria series)
can be extended to include mercenary scythians ans psiloi even horsemen if we are lucky.

c. "Mercenaries in the Meditteranean" (catchy title!)

Best regards